Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....Memorial Day Edition

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....Memorial Day Edition

1 June 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
    Well, I hope that each of you took time to remember our veterans of past and present who have fought, served, or died for that America has long stood for - freedom and liberty. Our veterans deserve our respect and honor.

I get to finish up my 2nd chair repair job today. I'm no so sure I like doing this, but it is something I can do primarily in the cool of my home since my a/c units are out and there's no money for repairs or replacement for my a/c in the shop.

The family garden is doing well and I'm already getting to eat some fresh peppers right out of the garden. I love them.!!

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past Memorial Day weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Family time with lots of rest and relaxation. A great weekend.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Planes/Storage

Recently a student/friend invited my wife and I over for dinner. While showing us his home, he took us into his shop. He had recently moved from a home that afforded him a 1,000 sf shop to a two car garage, approx 480 sf and he was space challenged. With his tool and space situation, one item that needed attention was a large, 8' Ulmia workbench with a big tilt-out. He commented that he wished he had a shorter, wider workbench like the one I used. Well, one thing lead to another and I agreed to make him a bench in exchange for the Ulmia. After completing the project and getting the Ulmia into my shop, I thought about what I could do with the tilt-out.

After seeing some of the tool boxes other members had made to house their handtools, I decided to organize and re-locate my planes to this unique storage area. I must admit, it's nice to have them all in one place.

Remembering our veterans, semper fi...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sat am I went and got some Bondo to fill holes on the in progress extension table for the new saw. Spent most of the day getting ready for a couple from Colorado Springs that was coming to visit one of the rescue dogs. They spent the afternoon, spent the night locally, and left early Sun am taking him to his new forever home. We all think he will be very happy there. I am missing him though. He was a true "Bubba". Really laid back, and very loving. Got to work for about 2 hrs in the shop Sat on the extension table. Sun, burned the rest of the deadfall that had collected over the winter. Got the extension table sanded and squared up ready for laminate. Worked on the "hatch" door that will cover the overhang in front of the cyclone closet. Need a 2 X 4 and 2 latches to finish it and be ready for paint. Watched a little baseball and puttered around the house. Then I had to work all day yesterday. Just another day at a car dealership! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I did yard work Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday, including spreading 16 "yards" of mulch around trees, the house, and my daughter's playground. I say "yards" because the place we get it has a 1 yard bucket they fill heaping full so I think each one is more like 1-1/3 yards and when I leave with 3 scoops my trailer is heaping full and 3 yards should fill it just a hair over the top. Then I unload one shovel-ful at a time...

Monday I did get some time in the shop to make some blast gates and get them installed which gets me pretty close to wrapping up a complete overhaul of my dust collection system. My daughter and I washed my truck (mostly I washed and she played and got sprayed "accidentally" a few times. ) And we went to my parents' for a dinner of beer can chicken.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 06-01-2010 at 9:32 AM.

Saturday and part of Sunday I finished my first rolling cart/cabinet for my turning tools. Sunday afternoon was spent cooking and enjoying the company of my grandaughter, her husband and two of our great-grandsons ....little 10 month old Jasper James and 3 year old Nicolaus. Whew! I remember now why we have children when we are young!

Monday played with the kids some more and started loading turning tools into the cabinet.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sunday was INDY 500. Monday was back home on some yard and garden work followed by an unexpected need to replace the alternator in the pick-up. Good weekend.

Thursday evening we drove down to my parents' on Hatteras Island, NC, and on Saturday evening, did this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=141356

Sunday we drove home.

Monday morning we went to a Memorial Day parade in which my two daughters were in with the school marching band as twirlers.

The rest of the day was spent installing AC in the house (window units) and sealing them up...

I managed to cut the tops off of 2 knuckles trying to pry back the stuck bolt on our back door lock. the knife slipped,and cut them right off!! I wasn't feeling too well,and was tired and not careful enough.

The knife wasn't even what I'd consider especially sharp. It just moved quite fast when it slipped. There was no SLIDING motion,either,for those who care to know. At least,everything still works,and the lopped off parts will fill in.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-01-2010 at 9:59 PM.

Rigged and craned the old shop off its failed sleepers, graded the side, dug and poured the 12 new footers, built and set the beams, layed the joists, shot down new 3/4" t&g and dropped the old building back down on the whole mess.

I am beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rick View Post
    Rigged and craned the old shop off its failed sleepers, graded the side, dug and poured the 12 new footers, built and set the beams, layed the joists, shot down new 3/4" t&g and dropped the old building back down on the whole mess.

I am beat.
    That's all?

Finished up some built in cabinets/bookshelves I've been working on in our family room.

Before:

Matt, I know what you mean about one shovel full at a time. I unloaded 20 yards of potting soil/top soil mix for the 5 massive raised beds we did this year and 10 yards of mulch. One shovel full at the time! That was a month ago and I still feel sore from it.

This weekend I took my boat to my dads shop and raised it off the trailer with the crane. Replaced the carriage bolts and running boards on the ole trailer. Helped a friend replace the motor mounts on one of his jet skis. Took the boat out crabbin Sunday and took my friends jet skis out Monday. His brother had some friends and kids out that had never been on the water before so we spent all day taking them for jet ski rides and tubing down the river. They had a blast and it was fun dumping them off the tube.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Finished my library http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=141377 and had a nice picnic on Monday. It was a great weekend.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

In addition to my regular riding lesson on Saturday and mowing the lawn, my four day weekend (took a personal day on Friday) involved replacing a termite eaten lintel and door frame in the 250 year old portion of our house that leads to the back patio. I had already ripped out the "affected" (and infested) doorway surround in the 18" thick stone wall opening a few weekends ago and ordered a door, cut down to fit the lower height. Rather than replace the wood that completely lined the opening you see in the pictures, I chose to repair and repoint the limestone around the opening while installing a new Douglas fir lintel. It was a shame that the 250 year old hand-hewn lintel pieces had to go, but they were not salvageable. The "homemade" pine door from the previous owners various renovations also had to go because it was split and offered no energy savings.

So as this project goes, we went from this:

To this:

I sure have a healthy respect for my mason friend who did all the work for our addition...that was hard, dirty work; the kind that makes muscles hurt from all the "up and down", etc. I didn't do work as good as his, but I can't complain too much, either, about the result.

I have a little paint touch up to do on the grills after the results from trimming off the gook that apparently oozed out when the manufacturer mounted the glass as well as to install the "real" deadbolt (oil rubbed bronze) when it arrives. And then it's on to replacing the floor on the inside first floor. Another shame, but the previous owners sanded the you-know-what out of it, so it's way too thin for the spans and there is, unfortunately, more termite damage. So I have to replace the wide pumpkin pine flooring...with a subfloor this time around to stiffen things up and better handle the 24-30" joist spacing. (variable...) But the replacement floor will also be wide white pine and will be finished to match what's there now.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-01-2010 at 9:58 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...