Thread: Which would be the strongest

Which would be the strongest

Ok, I know that is a dumb title for the thread but I didn't know what else to put.

I have steel patio doors, they have the big wood blinds on then and have little plastic things at the bottom to hole them. Well they get broke all the time so now I decided to make some from wood with magnets in them. The test ones are working really well so I am now making the final ones.

I am using hard maple, I had some 4/4 scraps.

They are 2 1/2 x 1 7/16 x 7/8 and have 2, 1/2" rare earth magnets in the end to attach to the door. There is a hole 1" from the magnet end that the blinds are screwed to so they can pivot when you one then or close them.

Now the question which way is the strongest or is there a difference.

The longer part up or the longer part down, I can not feel any difference but I do not have a way to measure it.
    The pull would be up at the pivot point.

one.jpg two.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 06-01-2010 at 6:59 PM.

Bill, I read your post 3 times and I still don’t understand what yer trying to say (it has been a long day). Which way are you pulling and from where?
    If you are pulling up from the small hole then the left model would have a stronger magnetic strength.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Bill, I read your post 3 times and I still don’t understand what yer trying to say (it has been a long day). Which way are you pulling and from where?
    If you are pulling up from the small hole then the left model would have a stronger magnetic strength.
    Yes I would be pulling up for the pivot hole in the unit.

I was thinking the left one but I keep looking at it and changing my mind back a forth all the time.

In 'theory', it doesn't matter. It's a torque moment about the top edge of the block, countered by the pull of the magnets.

If those drawings are proportional, I'd say the one on the right for the reason that Wes said it didn't matter--the torque moment. The difference is that if you picture a line between the pivot point and the top edge of the bracket, that line is longer in the image on the left, meaning for the same vertical force, there is more leverage (torque) since the distance between the force and the pivot is greater. The image on the right gives the magnets more leverage to act against that force.

I can't back all that up with numbers, though--I'm too far removed from my glory days in AP Calculus-based Physics classes...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Bill,

If this is the piece that keeps breaking, I'd say the left one would be stronger and resist breaking at the 90º angle.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    If those drawings are proportional, I'd say the one on the right for the reason that Wes said it didn't matter--the torque moment. The difference is that if you picture a line between the pivot point and the top edge of the bracket, that line is longer in the image on the left, meaning for the same vertical force, there is more leverage (torque) since the distance between the force and the pivot is greater. The image on the right gives the magnets more leverage to act against that force.

I can't back all that up with numbers, though--I'm too far removed from my glory days in AP Calculus-based Physics classes...
    More gut than engineering BUT I agree.

Why dont you make them so the longer part goes both up and down?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post

It is the same drawing just flipped over in SkitchUp.

Now that I drew it up in Visio it looks like it is the same no matter which way I put them.

Drawing1.jpg

The one on the right in this picture.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    It is the same drawing just flipped over in SkitchUp.
    I understand that. What I'm talking about is the difference in length between the base of the arrow and the top point between the two Visio pictures. One is the hypotenuse of the triangle (longer), the other is a base of a right triangle (shorter). Since the upward force would be constant, the torque is greater where the distance is longer (t = F x d). The topmost point is the fulcrum on both drawings, but the lever changes from a base of the triangle to the hypotenuse.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Now that I drew it up in Visio it looks like it is the same no matter which way I put them.

Drawing1.jpg
    My first impression was that you are correct in that they are same. I always have the best luck proving something right, by trying to prove it wrong, so I took a crack at it.

If you are pulling straight up as drawn, then each configuration will provide the same magnetic strength. However, if the direction of pull is slightly away from the window then the left picture (in visio) will withstand more force. If the force is towards the window, then the right will be stronger. The reason (from statics class 20+ years ago) is due to the normal distance from the fulcrum to the force vector . My head hurt just typing that.

Nitpicking I know, but what's the fun in a simple answer
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result