Thread: Tool Gloat

Tool Gloat

I just unpacked my new Vega Pro50 TS Fence. Can't wait to put it on and give it a try. I have a Craftsman hybrid TS so this will be a huge upgrade. I also ordered the Leg Set and Finger Saver from Vega.

While I was out today, I also picked up the Woodpecker 24" T-Square, 12X8 Square, and Triangle Set. I really like the molded boards they come packaged in. It makes it a very safe way of storing precision tools so they don't get damaged.

I'm in the process of putting together my first home workshop. I was a GC for years so my workshop was always moving from the back of my truck to whichever jobsite I happened to be on that day. I now find myself with lots of time on my hands since I became disabled. 2 1/2 years ago I came down with some kind of nasty pulmonary infection that almost killed me. After 3 months I pulled through but it left me with a bunch of neurological problems and severely short of breath. Woodworking is going to be a challenge for me now as I am confined to an electric wheelchair, but I think if I set my shop up right, I can can do it. I would love to hear from any woodworkers that are disabled or know one that is for ideas and encouragement.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Hmmmmm, why can't I see the nice things you got?
    I drink, therefore I am.

I am just heading out to take a few pictures now

Stew Hagerty

Stew,

There is at least one active member on here that is setting up a wheelchair accessable shop. I'm sure an search of the forums will bring up several threads about access. If you don't find what your looking for, feel free to ask.

Oh, and enjoy your new tools!!!

-Andrew

Stew, I too am confined to a wheelchair, a manual but a wheelchair none the less. While some things can be a challenge, there are ways around every obstacle. I had to build a custom stand for my bandsaw to get it to my height and various other little obstacles. Good luck to you and congrats on the new toys. One other thing if you do not currently have a dust collection system, you should put that on the top of the list.
    YOURS TRULY,
    DARIN

Here are the pictures. I just noticed I said I got the Pro 50 when what I got was the U50. The guy at Vega was very helpful. I had originally planned on ordering the Pro50, but we discussed what I planned on doing in my shop and what my current saw was and what plans I had down the road. After all that he recommended the U50 instead. Again, very helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Higginbotham View Post
    Stew, I too am confined to a wheelchair, a manual but a wheelchair none the less. While some things can be a challenge, there are ways around every obstacle. I had to build a custom stand for my bandsaw to get it to my height and various other little obstacles. Good luck to you and congrats on the new toys. One other thing if you do not currently have a dust collection system, you should put that on the top of the list.

Thanks Darin. I actually paid a visit to Harbor Freight earlier this week and nabbed myself their 2hp DC. My brother work in corporate safety, and he is looking into a powered respirator for me. He thinks he can get one for about half price. I've been setting up boards and trying out my various tools at different heights all week to see what fits me best. One of the big things I have found is all the extra room I need around the shop just so I can get around. Seems a shame I have to waste all that space.

While I was at HF I also bought their 6X48 Belt 9"Disc Sander. Pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stew Hagerty

Sheet Goods

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Higginbotham View Post
    Stew, I too am confined to a wheelchair, a manual but a wheelchair none the less.
    I'm curious about working with large items such as sheet goods. I will have a side table after I get the Vega fence installed and I plan on building an outfeed table. I'm still wondering about handling the large sheets before I can cut them down to size.

Stew Hagerty

Would you have room for a panel saw? Like the ones at BORG stores where the stand sheets on side and saw runs down on a track? Or, have store cut them to smaller size for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Britt Lifsey View Post
    Would you have room for a panel saw? Like the ones at BORG stores where the stand sheets on side and saw runs down on a track? Or, have store cut them to smaller size for you.
    I thought about it, but I really don't have the room. I am mostly confined to the third stall of my 3 car garage, although I am planning on spilling over into the other side a bit since we only park one car inside.

Stew Hagerty

Yea, space is one of the things wheelchairs demand, I despise extension cords on the floor, been over backwards twice because of them. the HF unit will do fine as long as you don't push it.
    YOURS TRULY,
    DARIN

Maybe a track saw on a low table (or set of horses). I don't know how far your reach is or if you have room to set up a cutting table on an as needed basis.

Oops, sorry forgot part of your question, as far as sheet goods go I put them on the floor and use a skilsaw to get them down to half sheets so I can handle them. If thats not doable to might see if your local lumber supply will help you out, they are usually more than happy to help.
    YOURS TRULY,
    DARIN