Thread: HD Tool Gloat

HD Tool Gloat

Finally got my Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander! HD accepted a Harbor Freight 20% Coupon lowering the price to $159. I had a gift certificate from Xmas and one from my last BD, both for $75. So it cost me 10 bucks out of pocket plus tax. Pic 1 is the proof (here's the proof!), Pic 2 are rough-sawn cabriolet legs fresh off the BS, and Pic 3 is right after initial sanding on the new toy.

The sander performed OK. Changing from belt to spindle is easy enuff, but ya have to mess with individual washers per spindle size (am I too fusy?), but it did do the job as I had hoped, which many times faster than other methods. Got some hand clean-up to do, then it's onto the aprons and drawers for the French Provincial style desk to place in my new study.

For the front (decorative) apron, am thinking of something new - I'll edge-cut a 3/4" thick board starting from it's length's center about 12" long and 1/8" from the front face (like resawing), then gradually taper the end of the cut the toward the boards center (1/4-3/8" into the boards thickness). I'll then remove an inch from the center, rear (like a cross-cut dato). Then I'll simply attach a bar clamp to the boards lenth and tighten. I'm hoping the thin face will bow gradually outward (of course I'll have to prevent the thicker parts from folding inward too, but I'd like to establish a bowed front with out laminating or cutting thicker stock. I'll let cha know of my progress. (LIGHT BULB WENT OFF - Pic 4 is a sketch of what I'm painstakenly trying to explain and being seemingly unsuccessfull!) Now that I look at Pic 4, it ain't that much clearer. I'd better stick with WWing!

Thx for look'n & Happy WWing,
    Bob

001.jpg
    007.jpg
    002.jpg
    010.jpg

Tool

I have always wanted one of those,they look very handy.Your legs look great also----Carroll