Thread: Need some advice

Need some advice

This should have been a "gloat" post. I was able to find about 40 bdft of nice curly maple at the store the other day hidden in the rough areas of maple. I am all excited to have all these boards for a dining table -- just looking at them in the shop is exciting!

However, I tried to change the blades on my dewalt 734 planer, and found what a lot of people have found: the damn screws holding the blades are over tightened and nearly all of them are stripped.

I can try an extractor for them all, and maybe get new screws, or I can get a new planer (grizzly?). Leaning toward a new planer, as I'm a little PO'ed. I have a limited amount of shop time, and trying to fiddle with broken equipment feels 10 times worse than it really is.

Some of the screws aren't very accesible and not sure if I am can reach them anyway.

Advice?

Tks.

The last time I ran into stuck screws on planer blades I was able to free them using an impact driver with a 4mm hex bit installed. If they're completely stripped out it won't work, but might be worth a try. Other options are to drill them out, and replace them, or to take it to a service center.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Buy some Kroil - amazing stuff. On teh stripped heads try an extractor and the Kroil.

Here is what it looks like.

http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil...lp_edpp_ttl_ex
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike,
    Go ahead and buy the grizzly. I don't know what Mike H. and Scott are thinking giving you advice on how to repair your old machine when you could buy a new one. From one tool junkie to another, buy another planer, it will make you feel good.

Seriously though, Mike H. and Scott are right on. Even if you do upgrade it would be a shame to give up on a otherwise good machine becuase of a few seized screws. If nothing else you could repair and sell it to help offset the cost of upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    ... don't know what Mike H. and Scott are thinking giving you advice on how to repair your old machine when you could buy a new one.....
    ....Momentary lapse of reason!

(...and there seems to be more and more of them the older I get! )
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

If the head of the screw is accessible, cut a new slot with a Dremel and try to extract the screw with a flat screw driver bit. If your second choice is to buy a new planer, then you have nothing to lose by trying this.

I have had this same problem on my Delta TP305 couple times. Came with allen head screws... stripped the allens right out!! No extractor would work, I think the screws were made from solid cardbide!!!

My fix... a cutting wheel/disc on my RotoZip, cut the heads free, and then tap the screw with a punch until i could remove it by hand...

Replaced with hex head bolts!