Thread: One man shop dust collection advice please

One man shop dust collection advice please

Shop space is 21' 6'' by 27' 6". Will want to connect several machines to connector including TS, radial arm, planer, joiner, shaper and all the other machines on wish list.
    Its my understanding that a single phase would need to be 3hp, two stage could be 2hp. It is also my understanding that two stage has superior fine dust filtration.
    Please correct any miss-understandings and suggest some makes and models for me to consider. Also, what should I be looking at for shop air filtration?
    Thanks,
    Dan

Blog Entries
    Dan,

I'd suggest you contact Oneida. Dust Collection is what they do.
    They have knowledgeable people and are not pushy.

Even if you choose to not purchase from them I would still think you can gain some valuable information.

I am just finishing a system I bought from them and am perfectly happy with it.

PHM

Oneida cyclone.

My shop is 24x30 and it takes care of every inch that I have hooked up. If I had an over arm tablesaw collection and didn't use the SCMS I doubt there would ever be sawdust on the floor.

They designed my runs for my layout at the time which has since changed. They originally called for some 5" mains, I assume because it had plenty of flow for what I had. Make sure you leave it easy to modify later.

Expensive but worth every dime.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I installed an Oneida cyclone in my basement shop in 2002, can't say enough good things about that decision.

Call them and discuss your needs...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Oneida cyclone.

My shop is 24x30 and it takes care of every inch that I have hooked up. If I had an over arm tablesaw collection and didn't use the SCMS I doubt there would ever be sawdust on the floor.

Joe
    Do you use portable tools? What about the dust and chips from them?

Blog Entries
    I ran a bag system for years. I knew it was just a chip collector and was putting more dust in the air than not running it. I added an ambient filter and that really cut down on the visible dust that coated everything. I finally developed sinus problems and added a cyclone . . . a little too late. I now have to wear a respirator even when hand scraping or I end up with splitting headaches and piercing ear pain.

I also take medication every day to keep the now overly sensitive tissue under control from things non-wood related that never bothered me before. I would buy two cyclones and throw one away if it would allow me to turn back the clock. This was something that just couldn't ever happen to me (read sarcasm). Learn from my (and others) mistakes; make dust collection your first and most car3efully thought out purchase.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    One issue with Oneida is that they often design their ductwork for a multi-person shop. In other words, instead of running one large pipe to each unit with blast gates they will start with a very large pipe and size it down as it gets closer to each tool. This makes sense when 2+ tools are running at once but is not as optimal if you are only going to ever run one tool at a time. Oneida's DCs are all great & run as advertised.

Bill Pentz's DC website should be required reading before you make a purchase. He also has plans to build your own 2-stage system if you want to save $$$. One of the things you'll learn is that you should have 6" pipe going to each of your large tools.

Finally, don't buy a cyclone based on HP, buy it based on the CFM @ static pressure charts. With dust collection, air flow is critical (CFM) unlike a vacuum which is more concerned about high static pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I ran a bag system for years. I knew it was just a chip collector and was putting more dust in the air than not running it. I added an ambient filter and that really cut down on the visible dust that coated everything. I finally developed sinus problems and added a cyclone . . . a little too late. I now have to wear a respirator even when hand scraping or I end up with splitting headaches and piercing ear pain.

I also take medication every day to keep the now overly sensitive tissue under control from things non-wood related that never bothered me before. I would buy two cyclones and throw one away if it would allow me to turn back the clock. This was something that just couldn't ever happen to me (read sarcasm). Learn from my (and others) mistakes; make dust collection your first and most car3efully thought out purchase.
    Glenn, that unfortunately is the voice of experience.

I had a much less drastic reaction to some cedar I was using and that prompted the investigation of dust and dust collection.

The bag type unit I was using weren't capturing the dangerous stuff, so an Oneida cyclone and filter were the solution.

No more dust, no more health issues.......Regards, Rod.

If you have the budget for it, then go for a full blown cyclone. Too bad you are too late to the game to get a new ClearVue...

I have heard good things about Oneida.

Yes, 2 stage collectors such as true cyclones DO separate MUCH more air than single stage. Basically speaking, the get as much dust as possible to drop out of the air stream before it gets to the filter thereby maintaining air flow because your filters are not plugging up as quickly...

You CAN modify a single stage to work well, but it is a lot of added work. If budget allows, get a true 2 stage, set it up, and get on with what you want to do which is woodworking...

Even the best cyclones won't catch everything. I would suggest getting an ambient air filter to clean your shop air after you are gone for the day. Between good dust collection, and air filtration catching what the dust collector missed, you will have cleaner air to breathe in your shop than many people do in their neighborhoods...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

There is a lot of good info here especially by Glenn, Greg, and David

I will address your specific questions below:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    Its my understanding that a single phase would need to be 3hp, two stage could be 2hp.
    I assume you mean single stage (blower and filter) vs two stage (blower, cyclone, and filter). The size of single stage blower unit depends on whether you will use it as a roll-around, one-machine-at-a-time unit, or a fixed unit with duct work to your machines. If you keep flex hose to a minimum, you can get by with 2 hp or less in a roll-around, but realize bag or cartridge filter will clog quickly and reduce suction- the primary thing you want to do is collect as much of the fine dust at the source and that may require anywhere from 400 CFM to 800 CFM depending on the machine.

If you add a pre-separator (cyclone or other) also keeping the flex hose to an absolute minimum, 2 hp will barely handle it.

When you go to a fixed system and start adding ductwork (duct size matters!) and a pre-separator, you are adding considerable static pressure resistance and now need 3 hp or more to get enough CFM. Realize, also it is not just about hp, but you also need a blower with the correct size impeller. With a 3 - 5 hp blower you need a 14" - 16" impeller.

my understanding that two stage has superior fine dust filtration.
    The number of stages has nothing to do with filtration- the filters do- but a good two stage unit will separate out the chips and most of the fine dust before the air with remaining dust gets to the filter, clogs it, and reduces flow. Actually the best, most efficient, system is a two stage unit that has a cyclone vented outside. If it is possible to do that where you live.

Also, what should I be looking at for shop air filtration?
    Unless you have an air filter whose media filters down to 1 micron or less, an filtration unit can be worse than no air filter at all, since it will just keep the fine dust in circulation longer and give you more opportunity to breathe it.

I would read all the info on Bill Pentz's web site and get a copy of the latest Wood magazine.

+1 on the Bill Pentz site. Loads of good info there!

Also, check out JDS dust collection systems. They have a pretty nice mobile cyclone setup for around $1200.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Glen, sorry to hear about your sinus problems. Appreciate your cautionary tale and will make dust collection my number one priority in the shop.

I have many years of residential finish carpentry experience and could not help but chuckle every time a home owner would complain about the dust. All I would ever say is "I WISH that woodworking could be done without making sawdust....."

Not interested in a mobile collector. In fact I am considering putting the collector in an adjacent storage shed attached to the back of the shop. Is the consensus that I should contact Oneida and talk about a 3hp cyclone and get help designing ductwork?

Ok, I'm off to check out Bill Pentz's website.

Thanks again guys.
    Dan

Dust collection

Dan;

I just added an Oneida dust collector to my basement shop. I went with the V3000 with hepa filter. It does a great job and is pretty quiet for something that moves this much air. With a good helper it goes together pretty easily. The others here have given you good advice. Just be careful about exhausting outside of your shop. This thing will empty all the air out of your shop in a few minutes, taking the heat with it.

Onieda

I purchased an Onieda cyclone about a year ago and have never looked back. Hands down the best money i ever spent. I have a 5 hp unit because I'd like to have employees one day and a much bigger shop. My system works flawlessly. I leave my 12" jointer, 20" planer and tablesaw gates open all the time and it still keeps pulling. Worth every penny.

jason