Thread: The decision to buy new or used is killing me!

The decision to buy new or used is killing me!

I have the chance to pick up a used Ridgid saw for about $400. Its about 9 months old looks in pretty good condition, buts about 3 hours drive away (one way). Or I could get a brand new one, get to set it up myself, not have to drive far at all, but pay about $130 more when I subtract the cost of gas. Im leaning a little towards new just because im always leary of buying used.

What do you guys (and gals!) think?
    Last edited by Robert Mayer; 11-24-2004 at 3:30 PM.

Thought

Guarantee is an issue. When you buy new from a retailer you have the mfrs guarantee PLUS the retailer (in this case HD and they are EXCELLENT on returns), Just A thought..
    Jerry

Robert -

In this case, I would go with new. If there is a problem, you will have a receipt and a warranty remedy. May not be true with the used one.

Regards,
    Ted

Or use this info on the guy to justify a lower asking price.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Don't forget to account for 6 hours of your time to drive there and back. At $20 bucks an hour plus gas I would buy new or get the seller to come way down on his price.

The setup time would be about the same as I am sure that you would check and recheck all of the major settings on the used one.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

New sounds best. Or as Chris mentioned, turn on the bargaining mode.

Seems like the majority recommends buying new. I think thats what im going to go with. Thanks for the help. Im probably going to pick up the ridgid or the craftsman saw this weekend. Ill be sure to post pics! Have a good thanksgiving weekend everyone.

HD is sending out 10%-off coupons to holders of HD credit accounts. If you don't have one, open one and you'll probably get a coupon, that'll knock another $50 off. It may be worth waiting to see if HD does another 20%-off tool sale like they did the weekend before Christmas last year.

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael
    HD is sending out 10%-off coupons to holders of HD credit accounts. If you don't have one, open one and you'll probably get a coupon, that'll knock another $50 off. It may be worth waiting to see if HD does another 20%-off tool sale like they did the weekend before Christmas last year.
    That would be a really good deal even with just 10% off. I can open an account then just pay the bill off when it comes in since I was going to pay cash anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer
    That would be a really good deal even with just 10% off. I can open an account then just pay the bill off when it comes in since I was going to pay cash anyway.

That can be a good deal, .........BUT.............BE SURE to send the pmnt in Plenty Early, because if the mail happens to delay the pmnt's arrival to HD, and it arrives ONE DAY Late, they will soak you a late fee of $29. (may be more now, I don't know), as I haven't used my card since this happened to me when I only owed them $5 + total, before the late fee. Note: The pmnt was sent in plenty of time to get there, and they refused to delete the late fee, so I refuse to use their card, and don't buy much there anymore either.

Good Luck wqith your purchase......Norm

Buy what makes you happy
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

You don't have to use it, but the HD card should also give you 6 months same as cash. So then you'd have 6 months to get the payment in. If you cut it too close at that point, then it's your own fault. I also have a HD card but have only used it in two cases where it meant a discount on my purchase. I did notice though, that they are now going through citibank and I don't think they were before. Of course, that doesn't really mean anything. Maybe I'm a jerk, but I'd offer the other guy $250-300. Maybe he needs to get rid of it, and I don't think it's worth $400 used to anyone, unless they know him personally and know that the saw was very well cared for. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you have. I've got a 4 year old Craftsman (before I knew better) but it gets me by just fine. Once you are acquainted with your tools, you'll be able to use just about anything to nearly the same effeciency as the most expensive.

used is used. 40-60% of new tops.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery