Thread: Canoe Paddle

Canoe Paddle

I wasn't sure where to put this question-boats or general-I figured it would get more exposure here.

I bought a new (to me) solo canoe recently and want to build a paddle for myself. I have looked around the Net for kinds of wood used and have seen everything from Maple & Cherry to Basswood and Red Alder used to build up a laminated type of paddle. Hardwoods are kind of heavy for this application. Spruce has been suggested on some websites. I happen to have a bunch of nice clear Western Red Cedar on hand. Any thoughts if this would be strong enough for what I want to do ? I am going to add in some thin pieces of Cherry and Mahogany for looks and strength. I am planning to use West System epoxy as the adhesive as advised on several paddling websites.

Suggestions, thoughts, warnings all welcomed.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Hi Don,

I use WRC to make kayak paddles. It is nice and light, but a little soft too. I reinforce the ends with hardwood splines; pics here:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=19

A canoe paddle will be wider, but I think it would work, particularly if you plan to laminate in strips of hardwood. I use West System epoxy and it works well.

I have also used a canoe paddle made from solid cherry and it was thin and light.

Take pics and let us know how it turns out!

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Peet; 06-03-2010 at 9:30 AM.

I have also made paddles with the red cedar as the middle of three laminations. The top and bottom Ash laminations do not run the full length of the blade, but kinda feather into the top portion of the blade. The shaft has the three full laminations - plenty to round or oval over.

Consider protecting the soft cedar blade tip with either a hard wood insert or by insetting and epoxying in rope.

Wood Canoe Paddles

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    I bought a new (to me) solo canoe recently and want to build a paddle for myself. I have looked around the Net for kinds of wood used and have seen everything from Maple & Cherry to Basswood and Red Alder used to build up a laminated type of paddle. Hardwoods are kind of heavy for this application. Spruce has been suggested on some websites. I happen to have a bunch of nice clear Western Red Cedar on hand. Any thoughts if this would be strong enough for what I want to do ? I am going to add in some thin pieces of Cherry and Mahogany for looks and strength. I am planning to use West System epoxy as the adhesive as advised on several paddling websites.

Suggestions, thoughts, warnings all welcomed.
    Before considering wood species it would be a good idea to think about your intended purpose. Canoe paddles range from strictly utilitarian to works of art. I've made paddles from both ends of this spectrum. Also, you might consider whether you want a traditional type or a laminated paddle.

I lean toward the traditional beaver tail sort of paddle, made from a single species. And my criteria for wood are light-weight and strong. Still lots of options here. My favorite is of course the lightest and strongest: Sitka Spruce, the stuff they used for airplanes. Hard to find and expensive in most sections of the country. But I have poked through lumber yard piles of "spf" (spruce/pine/fir) and found good clear sections of spruce that made excellent paddles. You want to choose flat grain or quartersawn while sorting through such piles. Each has its champions and detractors. (I'm in the quartersawn camp--think how a baseball bat is held to be strongest on impact.)

Black Cherry is often used for paddles. Leans toward the strong but not so light as spruce.

Try a yahoo search for "northwoods canoe paddles"

Should bring up sites with paddles and descriptions as well as sites with plans.

A good paddle is beautiful thing. I have one hanging in the living room. bought a second one to use.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    ....Suggestions, thoughts, warnings all welcomed.
    I don't have any suggestions or warnings Don....cuz I don't know anything about paddles. But you sure made me want to make one!!!

...heh heh...And I don't even have a boat!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    ...And I don't even have a boat!!
    ...but you can build one John. If you can do that whole library, a canoe or kayak would be a breeze for you.

And a big thanks to all who responded. Great info!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Yeah...Like I need another project.

But wait a minute!...I do have 15 spare minutes each evening around 9:45......Hmmmm
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson