Thread: Tom, Steve, Bob, Bernie, and anybody else using a VC

Tom, Steve, Bob, Bernie, and anybody else using a VC

I am trying to pre plan this system before the parts get here. My lathe bench has a backboard, so I was thinking about mounting everything except the pump on an aluminum plate mounted on standoffs attached to the backboard. What do you think the smallest square, or rectangular dimensions can be for this plate, with all parts excluding pump? Also is there a maximum working distance from the pump to the rest of the system.

TIA, Ray

Ray,

You might take a look at the appropriate documents found here - http://jtturningtools.com/install-instructions The ones on system configuration and hardware kit installation should help.

In general, the gauge and control valve should be easily seen and reached from the normal turning position and the pump should be as close to the lathe as possible. The filter should be the last thing before the pump - i.e. the hose from the filter output should do directly to the inlet of the pump. So, the order should be chuck, adapter, manifold, filter, pump.

If you want to post a photo or two of your lathe area, it might be easier for folks to offer suggestions.

Ray. I just laid the parts out on a piece of plywood ahead of time and gauged the size of my panel by that. The biggest limiting factor was the flexibility of the hoses. Within reason, I don't think the distance from the pump to the rest of the system is crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by bob svoboda View Post
    Ray. I just laid the parts out on a piece of plywood ahead of time and gauged the size of my panel by that. The biggest limiting factor was the flexibility of the hoses. Within reason, I don't think the distance from the pump to the rest of the system is crucial.
    Thanks Bob, what size did your panel end up?

If you mount the filter next to the pump, then connect two tees together such that the bases of the tees are connected forming an 'H'. Then connect the hose barbs to the two bottom openings and the meter to the one closest to the lathe and the valve in the other. A filter on the valve is not needed as the larger filter at the pump will protect it. If using an oil type pump make sure that there is a filter on the output too. The only things you need to mount on the plate would be the two tees, the valve and the meter, so maybe 5"x6" or so depending on hoses.
    Tom Steyer (JT Turning Tools) makes/sells a manifold that combines the two tees into one block with mounting holes. I do not know if he sells it separate from a kit that also contains the valve, filter, hose, and other fittings. Look at his site to see the size shape of the assembled manifold. Its not much larger to connect the tees as described.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Since I put mine on a movable panel, I didn't really shoot for the most compact arrangement. I estimate I could have made it as small as 2' x 2' if I needed to (not including pump placement).

I got the setup (the adapter, chuck, hoses and manifold, etc, except for the pump, which I already had) from JT Turning tools over a month ago, but I haven't set it up yet, because I haven't been able to settle on the configuration. The "wheelable" setup I've seen looks nice, but I think I just want it all to stay in one place. I could put the pump underneath my lathe table, or I could put it on the counter beside the lathe, but I'm worried about dust/chips in both places. Maybe I'll post a pic and look for suggestions too.

It has also not been clear to me whether I need to put the tape on all of the connections, or just the threaded ones ...

I think I'm concerned I'll do it wrong, and thus am procrastinating.
    I know it would make things easier ....

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    If you mount the filter next to the pump, then connect two tees together such that the bases of the tees are connected forming an 'H'. Then connect the hose barbs to the two bottom openings and the meter to the one closest to the lathe and the valve in the other. A filter on the valve is not needed as the larger filter at the pump will protect it. If using an oil type pump make sure that there is a filter on the output too. The only things you need to mount on the plate would be the two tees, the valve and the meter, so maybe 5"x6" or so depending on hoses.
    Tom Steyer (JT Turning Tools) makes/sells a manifold that combines the two tees into one block with mounting holes. I do not know if he sells it separate from a kit that also contains the valve, filter, hose, and other fittings. Look at his site to see the size shape of the assembled manifold. Its not much larger to connect the tees as described.
    Thom, I ordered everything from JTTurning Tools, so I believe the manifold is included. Also ordered the pump, so no pump oil involved. The max space I have for this is 12" H X20"W. This sounds doable.

Cathy, you brought up a good point. Are any of the components affected by chip, or dust? I'm thinking because this is a diaphragm pump, that it wouldn't be a problem, but I have been wrong lots, and lots of times before

Ray - Tom is the resident expert when it comes to vac systems - so what ever he says you can take to the bank. Seeing as how you ordered everything from Tom - why not wait until the parts arrive - then find out how big of a footprint they will require....

Looking forward to seeing your completed vac system gloat!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve, good idea. I will wait on the parts, before deciding. Maybe then, post some pictures of where I would like it to go. Tom would have a better idea then with any suggestions for installation.

Ray, Here are some pictures of my setup. Line from pump comes in the middle, gauge on the left toward adapter, and bypass valve on the right. I slipped a sock over the tubing from the valve to keep the chips out. As you can see it all fits on top of my 3520B headstock, not sure what the dimensions are. I have since put the pump with fuel filter attached in a cabinet behind the lathe under a table with about 4 ft of tubing to the manifold on top of the headstock.

My original idea was to remove the the manifold from the headstock each time I used it, but it is so handy that I just leave it there all the time, and I use it more often.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you've already ordered your parts from Tom, you won't have long to wait ... he ships fast. (And now i'm off to go open the two boxes from Tom that just arrived and are waiting for me Seems the Creek is stirring up some good business this week! )

Thanks Doug, nice set up. How are things on Col? Here, you would think we lived on the West Side. Seems to rain every other day. I think there are webs growing between my toes!

I opted to hang my system on the wall near the tailstock to keep it out of the way. I didn't want to have to sweep up shavings around it. Since it hangs on a French cleat I can easily move it or put it on hand cart to transport although I have not had the need. Here is a picture.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99878
    God is great and life is good!