Thread: tint oil based poly?

tint oil based poly?

Hi all, I built some cabinet doors for my kitchen. They are a simple flat panel mission style door with rails and stiles. I stained them before finishing with oil based polyurethane (wont use oil based poly again...). After applying the poly I have noticed that one of the sheets of 1/4" ply that I used as the door panels failed to take the stain the same as the rails and stiles. Is it feasible to tint ever so slightly an oil based poly and reapply so I can take the panels which appear too orange to my eye and add more of a brown hue?

Thanks,
    Brian

I have fixed stain problems before by tinting Shellac and going over the entire surface with a little lighter or heaver coat as needed over the problem area. Let the Shellac cure and put one more coat of poly
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

It is called a toner and it is difficult to put down well by hand but it is possible.

I believe transtint is compatible with oil finishes but I am not sure about the urethane finishes.

Tinting a shellac coat is good advice.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Minwax's Polyshades is a tinted urethane varnish. It can be intermixed to product different tones.
    Howie.........

James,

Shellac does not need (nor can it) cure. It dries and that's it, it's done. Varnishes need to cure, as do catylized finishes.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.