Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G0605X question concerning TENONING JIGs

G0605X question concerning TENONING JIGs

Well I bought a tenoning jig from Grizz (H7583) and it doesn't fit my 605X. The jig will only work in the left hand slot, and only if the slot is a MAXIMUM 6 3/4" away from the blade. The left miter slot on the G0605X is 8-1/4". So bummer I just found this out now, after cleaning all the packaging grease and moving the jigs miter bar to the furthest position.

I called tech support and they verified that this jig would not work, and provided me with return authorization cool. Although I need to pay shipping on this cast iron tool, and a 10% restock.
    I think I'll try and sell this "new out of box" jig locally and just get my money back, versus going in the hole to ship it back.

So now what?
    Whos got the skiny on a jig that fits my left miter slot? Or I guess find a Tenonig Jig that rides down the right hand slot?

Any advice?
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    Well I bought a tenoning jig from Grizz (H7583) and it doesn't fit my 605X. The jig will only work in the left hand slot, and only if the slot is a MAXIMUM 6 3/4" away from the blade. The left miter slot on the G0605X is 8-1/4". So bummer I just found this out now, after cleaning all the packaging grease and moving the jigs miter bar to the furthest position.

I called tech support and they verified that this jig would not work, and provided me with return authorization cool. Although I need to pay shipping on this cast iron tool, and a 10% restock.
    I think I'll try and sell this "new out of box" jig locally and just get my money back, versus going in the hole to ship it back.

So now what?
    Whos got the skiny on a jig that fits my left miter slot? Or I guess find a Tenonig Jig that rides down the right hand slot?

Any advice?
    My five year old Jet has small hex set screws that you use to adjust the tightness of the jig when you run it in the miter channel. Can you adjust the Griz model?

Yes the Grizz Tenoning jig has an adjustable miter bar. But that's not the adjustment I was mentioning. Sorry if I was unclear.

My problem is that the left miter slot is SO FAR away from the blade that any wood mounted in the Tenoning Jig would never even contact the blade.

Most tenoning jigs I've seen are designed to be used in a miter slot that is CLOSE to the blade, my miter slot is closer to the edge of the table than the blade.

How are you liking the saw so far? ive had mine about 4 months now. have cut maple mdf even 1" aluminum and it has not slowed down. Only complaint is the dust collection is kind of lacking. Lots of leaks.

Picture of my beast (it got used as a sorting table for a few days why i cleaned out almost everything out of the garage to build the shop

Quote Originally Posted by Robert gree View Post
    How are you liking the saw so far? ive had mine about 4 months now. have cut maple mdf even 1" aluminum and it has not slowed down. Only complaint is the dust collection is kind of lacking. Lots of leaks.

Picture of my beast (it got used as a sorting table for a few days why i cleaned out almost everything out of the garage to build the shop

I've had mine about the same length of time also. And I love it. You hit the nail on the head with your DC issues. I've got a 4" flex line running 5' to my PM1900 DC and I still get tons of dust in the cabinet. I'm planing on cutting into my cabinet and running a 6" line, hopefully this will solve the cabinet dust issues. I don't like knowing that the electronics are continually geting dusted. As you can see from the photo, taken 5min ago, my saw also does double duty in the shop.

You can see my problem with the Tenoning Jig too, thats it up on the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ill be cutting mine for a 5" port alot of the suction is lost around the bevel handle and around the top under the table.

Ill be getting rid of my extension tables here shortly going to build the saw into a mobile island

The Delta can be set for either left or right slot.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-34-184-U...5617249&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    The Delta can be set for either left or right slot.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-34-184-U...5617249&sr=1-1

Ok, I'm reading reviews on the delta and getting mixed results. So can I ask, are you mentioning this jig because you own it personaly? If so, GREAT, otherwise I don't see where it says left or right miter slot. The jig reviews only state left or right tilt saws? So can you actually REVERSE the jig in order to still support the work piece from the rear as you push it through the blade, along the RIGHT miter slot?

If you have the jig or can show me where it's being used in the right side miter slot, I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert gree View Post
    ill be cutting mine for a 5" port alot of the suction is lost around the bevel handle and around the top under the table.

Ill be getting rid of my extension tables here shortly going to build the saw into a mobile island

If I look under my saw from the operators view point, I can see a ton of dust plastered up in the webs of the cast iron top. I'll be stuffing all gaps with that black foam pipe insulation stuff. I'd like to be able to seal up the tilt slot from within the cabinet. I don't want anything hiding my Grizzly Green

Robert...Aaron...

You guys have encouraged me. Thank you.

I am not alone in the "messy shop" department.

Exclamation I had an epiphany last night!

How about this idea, mount my tenoning jig to a sub base?
    I could remove the miter bar from the base of the jig, then mount the jig to a piece of 3/4" ply, and then remount the miter bar to the base of the ply. So the plywood sub base would act as a large off set in order to get the jig over to the blade area.

Any reason this might not work? Mounting the jig in an offset fashion would allow me to use it on the left side as it was intended to be used.

Blog Entries

Great idea

That should work fine--I would suggest some phenolic plywood much more slippery and you wouldn't need it quite as thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    Ok, I'm reading reviews on the delta and getting mixed results. So can I ask, are you mentioning this jig because you own it personaly? If so, GREAT, otherwise I don't see where it says left or right miter slot. The jig reviews only state left or right tilt saws? So can you actually REVERSE the jig in order to still support the work piece from the rear as you push it through the blade, along the RIGHT miter slot?

If you have the jig or can show me where it's being used in the right side miter slot, I'd appreciate it.
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I do own the jig, but it has been visiting a friend for about six months. I called and asked him to check the owners manual. He said they do indeed show a picture of the jig in the right track, so I asked him to read the instructions on how to switch it. All of a sudden he started laughing hysterically. The instructions say use it in the left track. He said if you look close it is obvious the picture is printed reversed.

Sorry if I got your hopes up.

I had the same problem with a Delta tenon jig with my General 650.

I had to drill the jig base to move the mitre bar further to the left on the jig.

Regards, Rod.

I have the Delta on my Craftsman. Had same problem. Screwed a piece of 3/4 baltic birch plywood to the face so it would reach closer to the blade. If you do this, make sure the piece is mounted high enough to clear the slide on the jig. You will have to clamp a vertical piece, squared to the tabel, on the face to take the place of the metal stop that came with the jig and back up the piece your cutting tennons on. I would do this anyway to prevent tear out. Haven't had any problem since and cut many tenons since. The tenons on the book shelf below were cut with this method.

Paul Muhlstadt
    Kankakee, IL

book shelf.jpg