Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How clear for SYP Laminated Workbench

Have you tried......

a Real Lumber Yard? Get on the phone with the saleman that calls on the builders (if there are any left in your area) Ask for #1 SYP OR call a truss mfg, they should have a good selection of #2 and probably some #1.

Call a builder and ask them where the closest Real Lumber Yard is other than Lowes or Home Depot.

Google may help too.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Akl View Post
    #2 is all I've been able to find in 2x12s. I was hoping to avoid the additional work of using 1x12s but the work seems to actually be in the 2x12s. Thank you all for the advice. I'll reward ya with pics when done.
    Rick.. I referred to 1 x's in my post. I was in a hurry to cut grass before a thunder-shower. I meant 2 x stock as you are looking at as it will cut down glue-up time. Sorry.. my bad!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Hi John & Michael,

I was in the same boat. I was trying to avoid butt jointing but it looks like that will be the case with any locally sourced wood including the 1x12s. I've tried all the local lumber yards. #1 won't come cheap for such a small order. It'll probably just need 8-10 2x12x16s. I hadn't thought of the truss companies. That's a great idea. I'll give'em a try.

Take care.
    Last edited by Eric Acle; 06-04-2010 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Acle View Post
    Hi John & Michael,

I was trying to avoid butt jointing but it looks like that will be the case with any locally sourced wood including the 1x12s.

Thanks for saving me the trip to check out the 1x12s. I used to live up there and there's a truss company off of bird and the palmetto. The name escapes me but you could yellow book it. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the heads up Rick. I'll PM you the prices when I get them if you like. Maybe we could combine our orders to save a little?

PMed for better contact details.