Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prototype SCMS Dust Hood

Purely trial and error, which is why I started with a cardboard mockup.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Higginbotham View Post
    Matt I think if you go through the bottom or side that sloping the bottom torwards the pick-up hose would be a good idea.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I like the design though. good idea.

[QUOTE=Matt Meiser;1439053]

Notice that my cardboard and duct-tape prototype is rapidly disintegrating! That duct tape isn't sticking to the cardboard too good.

Matt you just learned the "duct tape constant". It only sticks to those things you really don't want it to stick to!

Go over to that other forum and search for "photog's" post on using the Big Gulp, dated 05-09-08. It was also featured in Wood magazine.

Matt, I built a version of Sam Layton's hoods for my older Makita SCMS. It is fantastic. Can you modify his design for your saw?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...91#post1207891

I have a miter saw like that, and as for the rubber flapper, I just put some duct tape on it to hold it open. And have a vac hooked in place of the bag. Maybe building a hood would contain the rest of the dust. Like your idea.

7. Before spending too much time on the hood try to modify the flap. I have seen a mod where someone took a larger sheet of rubber and glued it to the outside of the existing dust shroud. It was about 1 1/2 to 2 times the size of the existing one. I think they might have glued in a small wire as well in between to keep the flap from shutting. This will get in the way when cutting 4x stock but shouldn't effect you working with up to 10/4, make it a bit big then cut it to size based on what materials you use most.

You also might find that the shop vac gets better collection than your DC with such a small duct size.

Matt, check out the post on Sam Layton's DC hood. Same saw, same general shape, and he worked out all the bugs....it works great.

Rick Potter

I keep thinking about building one of these myself - I was going to build it out of plywood and use sheet metal or laminate to create a funnel to the dust port(s) - I understand this improves suction quite a bit. Entry loss or something like that.

I have a strong enough DC that I can do 2 - 4" ports - one from each side so I think that, in conjunction with the vac, will get a lot of it. Probably could do 3 but that may be overkill.

Good luck.

PM

I still have to build a dust hood for my RAS and I'm considering using the airflow technique used by this fellow:

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/workshop/dustCollection.html
    scroll to the bottom of the page for detailed pictures of his dust hood and a video of the hood in action.

His DC hose is connected at the top. I'm considering something similar but with the DC hose connected from below.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    I still have to build a dust hood for my RAS and I'm considering using the airflow technique used by this fellow:

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/workshop/dustCollection.html
    scroll to the bottom of the page for detailed pictures of his dust hood and a video of the hood in action.

His DC hose is connected at the top. I'm considering something similar but with the DC hose connected from below.
    Wow, that was a slick video. I like how he demonstrated the air flow by knocking out his vac filter. Impressive.
    My RAS has be begging for proper DC. Right now all I use is the port off the blade guard.

I wonder if The Nerds design could be improved by adding a port directly under the miter saw base. Just build a flue into the frame work of the platform and have it connected in with his trapezoid device. Maybe a mini downdraft table design?
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.