Thread: Using oil stain, which wood types darkens better?

Using oil stain, which wood types darkens better?

I have a project for which the finish has to be a very dark color, ebony, "expresso" sort of, but still have to show some grain, so it looks its real wood.
    I picked up Minwax Oil Based Ebony Stain, which I have used on Pine with great results, as it seems the darker stain available.

For this project I was supposed to use a hardwood called Okume which in my tests seems its not darkening enough at all... let's say it darkens like the 40% of the dark Pine could get. I made some samples and that was the result.

I have not get the wood yet, so, I could change to a type of wood that get a nice dark color.
    From my local wood suppliers, besides Pine and Okume, I can get Banack, Sande, Maple, Oak Red, Birch, Poplar, Cedrillo (Sande).
    In your experience, which of these woods could get me a rich nice dark tone?

Why not start out with a darker wood in the first place? Black walnut is fairly dark to start with and should get very dark with stain.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Search here or google for ebonizing maple. More results than you can shake a stick at.

From vinegar/steel wool, to india ink to metal acid dyes.

Starting with walnut and using a dye is a really good way to get very dark that lasts. I haven't done any ebonizing of maple but have seen some pretty good results in pictures.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thanks you, guys for your answers.

I've already searched for that term "ebonizing maple" and yes, there's a lot of ways to do it, most of them are so weird !! lol

So, I'll try some samples and see what fits best for this project.

Thank you!

Dark Wood

Another wood that is dark brown that might work is Peruvian Walnut. I use it quite often in making boxes.