Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need expensive drill bits?

Buy the HF set. Then buy one LV bit and compare the bit and the quality of the cut. Then you'll know the answer.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

No need to spend $175! I found an HSS 25pc. set--1/8" to 1/2" by 1/64" increments at MLCS, for $44.95. But, a 25-pc set is probably overkill. Most of those bits will never be used in *just woodworking*.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    No need to spend $175! I found an HSS 25pc. set--1/8" to 1/2" by 1/64" increments at MLCS, for $44.95. But, a 25-pc set is probably overkill. Most of those bits will never be used in *just woodworking*.
    I can't live w/o brad-point bits in increments of 64th an inch. The 25/29 piece sets are required gear in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    So are you saying that the quality of the MLCS set for $44.95 is probably about equal to the quality of the Lee Valley set for $175 (clean cuts, good centering of brad point, long lasting, etc.)?

Personally, I would not spend Lee Valley money or brad points, save the money and spend it on forstner bits, you can get very close to the best quality in brad points without breaking the bank, forstners I have found make a lot more difference when you start talking about forstners like Famag and Colt make and I may be the odd duck but I use forstners in places and ways that are a lot more critical than my brad points. I even have all the small forstners and use them when ever possible.

Ray ;

pretty much what i was trying to convey tactfully hehe

just remember that forstners require more drill press than bradpoints particualrly when you get into the larger forstners

maybe "more" isn't the right term but you will definitely appreciate them more with a 12 speed drill press than you willwith a 5 speed

And the answer is, as for all tool purchases:

Yes, you need them.

Yeah that's a good point, brad point bits won't burn as easily as forstners will. With a forstner, you need a slow speed but a brad point can be used like a twist bit.

I think $175 is a bit over the top, unless you plan to will them to an heir. Try a set form someone descent. The main thing about HF stuff, at least what some claim, is it's dull. A dull bit is useless. On the other hand, their bit sets often seem to be the same as Steelex but don't really have much experience with that brand. I think I got a hole cutter made by them, not sure I'm brave enough to go try it again, my 5 speed can't go slow enough to stop it from burning.

The quality and accuracy of manufacture is certainly important, but keep in mind that they will get dull from use, and some of the less expensive bits/tools/chisels come poorly sharpened from the factory. Buy/try a more expensive bit or 2, and see how they stack up.

As with all tools, buy the best YOU can afford. I purchased one of the 25 or 29 piece sets from an on line router bit company that were on sale from 44.95 to 29.95. Several are not usable and others are barely usable, and a few are good. Some of the problems were brad points not centered, spurs not the same length or broken and some bits bowed over the length. I should have sent them back. They are, in my shop, utility use only. I have purchased some of the German made bits from Woodcraft for precise work on projects that seem to fit my needs.

I own four different sets of brad-point bits.

Here is my mini-review:

(1) Rockler 7-piece set. Started with this maybe 15+ years ago. Made in Germany. Not HSS. They have seen a lot of use and have worked great.

(2) USA made set purchased some years ago from Woodworker's Supply. By 64th's but not every size included with set (they excluded sizes they thought weren't needed, how they decided I don't know...it was 12+ years ago and I was just happy to find brad point bits in more than seven sizes). I'm not sure who made these bits. They are "lipped" as I do get the donuts. They require more feed pressure than other bits, but drill nice clean holes.

(3) 29-piece Rockler HSS set. Having all bits in 64th inch increments is sometimes necessary. A couple of the bits weren't true. I got another set, a couple of those bits weren't true. I made the best set I could, and returned the other set. If they could get the quality control up, these bits would be winners.

(4) Harbor Freight set. They were like $9 or $10 at the time, how could I go wrong ()? They're not HSS, but neither were the bits I started with (Rockler). They're actually very true. Sharp, too. Not a bad set at all.

The U.S.-made lipped bits drill very clean entry holes, the other bits can tear-out a little on the entry. Slowing feed during initial entry can help quite a bit. Just takes patience.

I've thought of purchasing the LV bits. That should fix me for life.