Thread: Humidor and Kreg jig

Humidor and Kreg jig

Is it feasible or does it make sence to build a humidor with the Greg Jig?

Thanks,
    Phil

Philip,

I assume you are referring to pocket hole joints (Kreg makes a few different types of jigs...for cutting crown molding, etc)? Generally a humidor would be made using a more traditional type of box joinery -- miter and splined miter are most common. I suppose a box joint or through dovetails would work too. The reason that these are preferable vs. pocket holes are many. First of all a humidor needs to seal in humidity and a screw joint -- tight as it might be -- will not seal as completely. Also, the stress exerted by a consistently high humidity interior (72% relative) and a fluctuating exterior atmosphere requires a joint that extends the full length of each edge. Similarly the top and bottom must fit together perfectly...the typical method involves building the entire box, cutting it open and then fitting the lining (spanish cedar) inside each half. Possibly dangerous with screws in the corners, and not likely to be stable.The lip of the lining makes the fit and seal work as a humidor.

There is a great humidor-build article on FWW's web site.

Sorry, yes Matt, I was referring to the hole jig. I guess I'll use my Fast-track joinery system from Peachtree on my router table.

What is FWW?

Thanks,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Florio View Post

What is FWW?

Thanks,
    Phil

Fine Wood Working