Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toolbox plans

Toolbox plans

I'm interested in building a "carry around" style toolbox, like an old carpenter/jointer's box. Something that will carry a couple of bench planes, a few hand saws, a set of chisels, etc.

Does anybody have any plans or drawings (or even pictures) of something like that? I need a little design inspiration.

Tom Fidgen has plans for a toolbox/site workbench in his book "Made by Hand." It is the first project. The book may be had at Amazon or his website if you want a signed copy. Otherwise it may be in the library. I have not yet tried to build that any project from the book.

Rick

Roy Underhill has a great one that I plan to build this summer. He did two episodes of the Woodwright's Shop on it, available to watch for free at http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/s...son_video.html.

This was featured in the June, 2009 issue of Popular Woodworking http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...ract?aid=15189. It's also available on their 2009 issue DVD.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

See if your local library carries a Taunton Press book called, "The Toolbox Book." Not sure it's worth buying - after all, any toolbox is, ultimately, just a box - but it will give you more ideas than you'll ever need.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you could be a bit more specific about what you are considering.

I have a couple of tool totes that I use. I do not think many pictures other than this were taken.

100_0718.jpg

Mostly the picture shows the beading where I put my initials in Morse code.

There is a piece in the back to slide a saw into and one end has a divider and some dowels to put chisels. If this is what you are thinking, I can take more pictures.

It will hold a couple of planes, saws, chisels boring tools, hammers, mallets and a few other items.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe you could be a bit more specific about what you are considering.

I have a couple of tool totes that I use. I do not think many pictures other than this were taken.

100_0718.jpg

Mostly the picture shows the beading where I put my initials in Morse code.

There is a piece in the back to slide a saw into and one end has a divider and some dowels to put chisels. If this is what you are thinking, I can take more pictures.

It will hold a couple of planes, saws, chisels boring tools, hammers, mallets and a few other items.

jim
    Yeah, actually that seems to be more along the lines of what I'm thinking. I've seen them before, generally with peaked sides and a handle (often just a round dowel).

I'd like to go with something of somewhat an authentic design that would have suited a carpenter at the beginning of the century. I'm fairly ignorant as to exactly what this might be, and that's really why I'm asking.

Roy,

I found a set of plans and instructions in Woodcraft's Magazine issue Volume 5 No. 26 December 2008- January 2009 page 10 with templates.
    It looks like a nice plan, using brass rod to secure the handle and upper
    ends of the lid. It has a lift out tray with a accent wood as the handle and divider. The prototype is made out of ash with handles out of zebra wood.

I am thinking of three friends that could use something like this around Christmas time. Just might give it a try.

Good luck,
    Rye Crane
    Pittsburg, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lindberry View Post
    I'm interested in building a "carry around" style toolbox, like an old carpenter/jointer's box. Something that will carry a couple of bench planes, a few hand saws, a set of chisels, etc.

Does anybody have any plans or drawings (or even pictures) of something like that? I need a little design inspiration.
    Roy - Do you mean a toolbox (like your thread title), or a tooltote like Roy Underhill is carrying during the title sequence to the WWS? If you mean a tool tote, Roy has a good description and measurements in one of his books. If you'd like, I can hunt up which book it is, which you'll have to buy or borrow from the Library - it's copyrighted, so I can't copy it for you. But the good news is that these books are very cheap, and should be on every neander's shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    Roy - Do you mean a toolbox (like your thread title), or a tooltote like Roy Underhill is carrying during the title sequence to the WWS? If you mean a tool tote, Roy has a good description and measurements in one of his books. If you'd like, I can hunt up which book it is, which you'll have to buy or borrow from the Library - it's copyrighted, so I can't copy it for you. But the good news is that these books are very cheap, and should be on every neander's shelf.

Yes, I'm thinking of a tote (sorry, still learning a lot of terminology). What's frustrating me, is that I know I've seen pictures and plans of exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't remember where.

Anyway, I appreciate the help from all of you.

Roy - Here's plans for a basic one (free). Roy's is a bit more complicated as it has one canted side for additional capacity:

http://woodworking.about.com/od/wood...denToolbox.htm

Blog Entries
    Mine was just nailed together from scrap wood.

The end pieces are the only place where the grain direction has to be considered since it has the handle going through and needs to support the weight.

I have seen totes with a row of drawers at the bottom held closed by butterfly catches.

Here is an image of one that has the same basic design:

Tool Tote.jpg

The is slotted piece in the center look like it would be good for holding saws.

Most of these I have seen are mostly pretty simple joinery. Of course, one can get as fancy as one wants.

I will try to take some pictures of mine today.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Mine was just nailed together from scrap wood.

The end pieces are the only place where the grain direction has to be considered since it has the handle going through and needs to support the weight.

I have seen totes with a row of drawers at the bottom held closed by butterfly catches.

Here is an image of one that has the same basic design:

Tool Tote.jpg

The is slotted piece in the center look like it would be good for holding saws.

Most of these I have seen are mostly pretty simple joinery. Of course, one can get as fancy as one wants.

I will try to take some pictures of mine today.

jim
    Yeah, there we go. If I can find a few of those to steal ideas from, it'll help me design my own.

Thanks Jim.

Blog Entries
    One thing that helps the design process is to lay out a few of the tools on a bench.

This will help to determine how much room is needed for the tools and what kind of dividers may be needed.

jim

Blog Entries
    On a hunch, I cruised over to finewoodworking.com and did a search on > tool tote <

Found a few things worth looking at including some in the gallery.

jim

Here's my favorite