Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toolbox plans

Blog Entries
    Here are the photos of mine.

This box was made when most of my saws were of the Japanese pull style.
    There is just a spline on a shim to hold a saw or two.
    On the left there is an area with dowels through the divider to hold chisels, pencils, screwdrivers or any small tools.

Rack and Saw.jpg

It is not long enough to hold most western saws.

The front wall is shorter than the back edge mostly because that is the size of the scrap pieces that were laying around.

Side View.jpg

The end view shows were a small dowel was inserted to hold the handle dowel in place.

End View.jpg

This was designed to be a general purpose tote to haul what ever tools are needed be it electrical, plumbing, wood or mechanical.

As mentioned earlier, it was just nailed together to carry some tools one day. When one of those magical round tuits comes my way maybe a nicer example will be constructed.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just a few shots of the tool box I'm finishing up. It's for my partner for knitting, but I thought I'd toss some tools for looks. The tools on the loose piece (soon to be lid) would be a tray the would fit over the planes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    I just love this one. Simple, strong contruction. Great practice on dovetails. I think the traditional version of this is actually built with mortise and tenon, which would be stronger.

D
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Carvers Tote, made for my middle daughters Father-in-law, of 100+yr old clear pine basement shelving from a local clothing store that closed. No metal fasteners of any kind used in the construction.

Last edited by harry strasil; 07-11-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Neat plan here:

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/h...oolbox1940.pdf

(I just bought a similar box off Craigslist w/ a Craftsman level, some bits (no brace though), a Stanley chisel and marking gauge and some other odds and ends)

That's a nice one!

I also liked the chisel tray:http://daikudojo.org/Archive/howtos/...x_chisel_tray/

I have been toying with the idea of a tool tote for a while. haven't had time though yet. The biggest thing for me was to have the handle set on the very top high enough to use as a saw bench. Also one end of the handle would stick out further from the side in a V shape to use for ripping/coping wood.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

I like the idea of using outside of toolbox to mount tools - makes them easily found and accessible
    01.jpg

I like the elegance and simplicity of Bob's!

I took a few hours this weekend and cobbled a rough poplar and pine box with a couple dividers to host my Beall threader stuff and trim router all in one place. In the interest of speed, I used cut nails rather than dovetails, so it's not fine woodworking by any means. That said, I kinda like it's rugged practical look. ;-)

I recommend looking thru Jim Tolpin's "The Toolbox Book". A lot of good ideas in there. Here's an enclosed one inspired by designs in his book that I'm building for my daughter's growing collection of hand tools.

Dimensions are 32x16x10, built out of recycled fir barn boards, and maple and mahogany scraps.
    Planes will be in the bottom drawer and the lid will hold 4 hand saws when it's done.
    My daughter has decided she would like a light blue color on the outside.
    Rodney

Ahh, if they only made all tools as durable as those good old craftsman flat head screw drivers. I bet they'd make a good mortise chisel. I never thought about it before. I know I have put mine through every kind of hell imaginable and it's still holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Here are the photos of mine.

jim
    It's sufficiently stout..

Here are some fine examples of Japanese students' toolboxes that are all designed around an attache case. They're all highly portable and hold a lot of tools.

It is a Google translation of a Japanese web site, not done by an actual live human being, so be aware of the bad translations.

Here are some fine examples of Japanese students' toolboxes that are all designed around an attache case. They're all highly portable and hold a lot of tools.

It is a Google translation of a Japanese web site, not done by an actual live human being, so be aware of the bad translations.
    I love the briefcase style like in this attachment. Fine Woodworking had one on their back page oh, maybe 16 months ago. There's something about this configuration that is more aesthetically pleasing to me than the chunky Craftsman toolbox look.
    Ron Conlon

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Conlon View Post
    I love the briefcase style like in this attachment. Fine Woodworking had one on their back page oh, maybe 16 months ago. There's something about this configuration that is more aesthetically pleasing to me than the chunky Craftsman toolbox look.
    I've started on my own version of the one posted on FWW. It is an intriguing design, and the guy did a superb job. In my job there is a fair amount of down time on weekends and nights and I'm allowed to do some small projects. The trick is paring down my necessary tool list to the point where they can be transported easily. The only difficulty is that this type of design is pretty much dedicated to a particular tool, but if the basic tools set can be defined well enough, that ought to do the trick for most of what I can take to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Racette View Post
    I just love this one. Simple, strong contruction. Great practice on dovetails. I think the traditional version of this is actually built with mortise and tenon, which would be stronger.
    The only thing I'd change on these Japanese style toolboxes is to add a couple of (retractable) luggage wheels and a handle.

Pam