Thread: Storage of nailer nails

Storage of nailer nails

I have seen comments about nails rusting and gumping up the nailers. How best to store them in a high humidity area, or nothing to worry about?

Mine sit in plastic boxes (like Tupperware), with silica gel type (desiccant) packets, to absorb the moisture.

I do the same thing with my biscuits, by the way....

I keep mine in and old, 3 drawer, audio casset storge thingy. My shop is in the garage so humidity is high at times. No problems.

Mine are in military ammo boxes that I got from an army navy surplus store. Each one is labeled with the size and type of nail, so I don't grab the wrong one.
    Almost 2 boxes of nails easily fit in each one so I can add a new box before I have used all of the ones from the last box. The ammo boxes are very well made and water tight when closed, with a strong metal lunch box style handle on top for easy carrying, and they can be bought in almost new condition for $4-5 each.

Charley

I try to buy as needed anymore & generally look for Porter Cable or Bostitch in the plastic bubble packs for the smaller fasteners.

I made the mistake once of buying some generic green and white box 18ga from Lowes on closeout.
    I ended up tossing about 5,000 because they had a slight film of rust form & jammed the gun.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 06-07-2010 at 6:48 AM.