Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Sander Station - gloat and question

Question Delta Sander Station - gloat and question

ok - first the gloat - got a new Delta Sanding Station - 6" belt sander, 12" disc sander and pneumatic sander all in one. Pretty sweet set up for sure!!!

I've got it all set up - no small feat let me tell you - this baby is HEAVY!! Did I mention it weighs a lot?

So by way of a minor review - the assembly is quite easy - once you get it onto the legs that comes with it. This is definetly a two man - er - a woman job - ok it would probably take 4 guys - but only took 2 women ----

The disc sander and table were quite easy to adjust - my one complaint and I'm sure this is true with most disc sanders - the dust collection is worthless - but I can live with it - as long as I wear my Trend respirator!!

The pneumatic sander was easy enough to assemble until you got to the dust collector part - it had a different kind of attachment - one I've never come across and, of course, there were no written instructions on this part (which I'm not sure why there weren't) - but it was basically a clamping system that fit into the groove on the hub that surrounds the sanding bar. Once I figured it out - it is actually a pretty ingenious set up.

The belt sander was the bugaboo trying to get it adjusted to hold the belt tracking. It was difficult to get the set screws just right - but once they were adjusted - the belt tracks great.

From start to finish it took about 2 hours to set up and about another hour to adjust etc.

ok - so maybe just a bit more than an hour to adjust - I'm still working a bit on the belt sander portion. Herein lies my question

When I adjust the table to 90 degrees to the belt - the table and belt are exactly 90 degrees until you get two about 3" from the "top" of the belt table. Then its off by about 8-10 degrees. I'm guessing that's not a major problem since I'll probably be using the belt more toward the middle in most cases. But I want to make sure that this is normal and not a problem with the machine that I need to get addressed. Sooo my fellow wwing junkies - is this a problem or am I obsessing?

Thanks - and Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Betsy

Betsy, I'm not sure what you mean by "top" of the belt table. Are you talking about up by the top roller?
    Is the table square to the platen? If it it is, that's as good as you can get.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-25-2004 at 4:26 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Betsy, congratulations on the new sanding station! Good machine for all kinds of wood shaping work. Relative to the table you mention...make sure it's flat and that the mounting system is square to the tool. If not, contact Delta/the reseller for a replacement. It should be at the same "angle" all the way across the belt and in all areas of the table.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Betsy,

I have the Delta 31-300 6"Belt/12" disc sander, same one? Mine is still sitting in the box, assembled the stand but waiting for some "muscle" to come over and give me a hand placing the unit on the stand....heavy!

Jim

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Betsy,

I can AAAAAAAAlmost imagine it, but a pix would be much more helpful in sharing your joy, knowing your pain and joining in this wonderful journey.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Betsy,

I can AAAAAAAAlmost imagine it, but a pix would be much more helpful in sharing your joy, knowing your pain and joining in this wonderful journey.
    I knew it, I just knew it - I'd get caught by the pix police!

Tyler - my humble apologies what was I thinking! I'll take a few quick pics and be right back!

Betsy

Tyler,

Good to know the picture police are working even on Thanksgiving. Betsy, a picture or two would be nice as I believe your machine is at the top of my Xmas list.

Jack

pictures and daaaaaaa

Jim - that's the same system I got, except mine came with the pneumatic sander as an attachment.

ok here's the picture of the center to satisfy the picture police.

now to the da --- thought I'd get a good picture of the square next to the sander - but thought it would be a better visual to show the square next to the table without the belt on ----- so this meant taking off the top protector, the back and the pnematic system. No big deal - well - here's the da..... once I took all that stuff off and put the square next to the sander - just like that I saw the "out-of- square" problem - the square went past the end of the table and was into the area around the roller - hence the appearance of out of square.

So I've learned a lesson here. Thanks for the help anyway fellas!!

Betsy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Betsy!

But you should have know that adding a review to your gloat wouln't appease the picture police. Good try though.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Sometimes I think the only thing standing between me and success is my spelling. I proofread that last post and still missed two spelling errors.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison
    I proofread that last post and still missed two spelling errors.
    You can just click on "Edit" and fix the post after the fact...I do it all the time...dyslexic typing.

Thanks Jim. I never seem to remember to just edit the post.

Actually I'm a very good speller. It's just that I'm a lousy typist and my fingers get out of sequence a lot.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Hmmm..My spelling is usually pretty good, it's my thoughts dyslexic are that!

Betsy, great score! I've got the smaller Jet version w/o the drum and use it a LOT! Have fun with it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Did you know that 10 out of 3 woodworkers are dyslexic.

Very Nice addition, Betsy. Incidentally, How's the swing out drawer Jewelry box coming along? Have you settled on a design yet?

[Neither my eyes, brain or fingers are Dislexic------It's my Keyboard, I'm sure]

Cheers...........Norm