Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guess I'm going to order a Euro Slider

Well point me in the right direction, everywhere I've looked all I can seem to find are 5/8 arbor blades. Once you get into the euro side with a 30mm arbor and pins I don't know who makes a quality blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    I never had any problem finding stock 30mm bore blades, and I never paid an upcharge; if you get existing blades re-bored, make sure they re-tension the blade afterwards -- any change to the plate, such as enlarging the arbor hole, can throw a blade off balance until it's re-tensioned.

Ray,

My Ulmia didn't require blades with pinholes, but try Leitz; I always liked their blades.

http://www.leitztooling.com/sawblades.htm

And if Hammer says Forrest makes blades for their saws, ask them specifically how to order them.

Well just put my 20% down and now I get to play the waiting game. Apparently it won't be here until the last week of August first week of Sept..

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray DuBose View Post
    You can still cut down the 8' side of it buy using the fence on it I would assume. Unfortunately the next size up comes with a price tag that's pretty much double what I'm paying.
    Wow, that COULD be a deal breaker!

I ordered the smaller hammer that is is on sale on 4-1-10 and it is on the truck on its way here finally! Should be here on Monday or Tuesday of next week I cant wait!! I was just getting ready to buy a Laguna TSS and the Hammer deal came around so I pulled the trigger on it.

Going from a Delta contractors saw to the Hammer is going to be so cool.

And yes it is a long wait

Enjoy your new saw,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe View Post
    Ray,

How much is that saw with the 78" slider? You can PM me if you want.

You've got me thinking....

Thanks
    Oh, com'on, Martin... you know you want a bigger one!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Joe Jensen at this site just got a Felder Slider and ordered a bunch of different Tenryu blades which are specifically made for the Felder saws..

As he seems to have one of each blade they sell, you might ask him his opinion on them

I know he researched blade choices to death before making his brand decision.. because he researches everything that way .. lol..

Yes, I originally ordered Felder blades with my saw but then read that they were noisy. I did look at another guys Felder which had a Felder blade and it was indeed a lot noisier than any blade on my prior cabinet saws. On the Felder forum lots of guys had great experience with Tenyru so I ordered 5 different Tenyru blades. They make a series of blades specifically for Euro saws with 30mm arbors and the side holes. I have only used the rip and fine tooth plywood blade so far, but I can saw that the cut quality is amazing, easily as good as the Forrest blades I've used for years. I think online the 12" blades are between $60-90 each. Higly receommended

Joe, what was your source of the Tenryu blades?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I'll have to go look for Tenyru blades now. BTW were are the Felder Fourms located at? I'm sure I'll need a lot of help before this is over on how to adjust my work habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Yes, I originally ordered Felder blades with my saw but then read that they were noisy. I did look at another guys Felder which had a Felder blade and it was indeed a lot noisier than any blade on my prior cabinet saws. On the Felder forum lots of guys had great experience with Tenyru so I ordered 5 different Tenyru blades. They make a series of blades specifically for Euro saws with 30mm arbors and the side holes. I have only used the rip and fine tooth plywood blade so far, but I can saw that the cut quality is amazing, easily as good as the Forrest blades I've used for years. I think online the 12" blades are between $60-90 each. Higly receommended
    hi Joe, did u also order dado blade from Tenryu and if u did can u please let me know how much they cost? I have a hammer k3 that will hopefully land at my house next week and did not want to spend another 500-600 on the hammer dado.

Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    This is good information, thanks. Currently, I use Felder blades on my Felder, and they are definitely noisy. I keep the speed turned down which helps, but I'm thinking of getting a few Tenyru's based on your experience.

How much quieter would you say they are? The Felder's have a very high pitched whistle. I always wear hearing protection, but it'd be nice not to annoy the neighbors every time I turn my saw on.

Regards,

John

I have a fiend who is a Tenyru dealer and I bought through him. The prices online were only slightly higher than his dealer cost. I don't recall the sites I looked at.

I purchased a Felder Dado blade set, it's very well made and cuts fantastic but it's also VERY expensive

There are online sources for Tenryu blades that a crazy cheap. Tenryu discounts distributors who buy large volumes of each blade.

I have a Tenryu and Forrest woodworker for my cabinet saw, I prefer the Tenryu blade, but not by much..

I just had my 80 tooth SCMS Tenryu Gold medal blade sharpened and the sharpener said " that is a high quality blade " .. He said in our area, he doesn't see many really high quality blades ..

Quote Originally Posted by John Harden View Post
    The Felder's have a very high pitched whistle.
    Is higher blade speed maybe a feature of a lot of the European machines? I know my Ulmia had that same fierce whistle, and it was definitely faster than my Powermatic.

I always wear hearing protection
    Ditto, religiously. I once worked with a really good carpenter who said he never wore hearing protection; I told him, "That's ok, pretty soon you won't have to."