Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with A/C for my shop

Blog Entries
    anyone?????

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    i have a small shop (11x22) with no windows and im in desperate need of air conditioning for this summer so i have started looking for a/c units and there is window or through wall styles.
    when i cut a hole in my wall why cant i just use a window type unit? is there that big of a difference in the two types?

any tips or tricks will also be appreciated!

thanks
    shop ac.jpg

My 16 X 20 shop with 8000btu window unit keeps my shop nice and cool. With standard wall and ceiling insulation. Built box frame in stud bay, carefully drilled mounting holes in a/c to screw to Studs. Sealed frame real good around unit with foam insulation from inside. Mounted high on wall cause heat rises.

i still havent decided which way i want to go, either a through wall type or a window type and just build something to simulate a window.

and i think im going to go with a 230 volt unit as nothing else is plugged into it except my heater in the winter.

but the a/c units have a different plug then my heater has. the a/c units have two flat blades (Plug 1)

and my heater has one flat and one upright but the plug on the wall has one flat and the other one is both flat and upright (Plug 2)
    so i assume the wall outlet will accept the a/c plug? does anyone know for sure? not sure of the voltage ratings?

plug 1 is 250 volt 15 amp rated. Plug 2 is 250 volt 20 amp rated. if receptical looks like 2 either plug will work

You may want to try a ductless split unit. The condensor mounts outside and the fan portion mounts inside on the wall. The are only small hole through the wall for your tubing and electrical.

Blog Entries
    yeah, but they are very spendy

i have a small shop (11x22) with no windows and im in desperate need of air conditioning for this summer so i have started looking for a/c units and there is window or through wall styles.
    when i cut a hole in my wall why cant i just use a window type unit? is there that big of a difference in the two types?

any tips or tricks will also be appreciated!

thanks
    These may help, need to be very careful drilling into case. Vent on side does set back into wall some but not enough to block the flow of air. Painted wood frame box in wall to protect from elements on outside foamed around case on inside with minimal expanding foam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    anyone use a portable a/c unit? i have a chance to do some trading for a 7k btu unit
    and was curious how well they work?

Here ya go, I'm sure other places sell them. I checked with Grainger a while back. They have alot of units and sell the wall sleeves.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/air...search&sst=All