Thread: can I glue letters onto vinyl?

can I glue letters onto vinyl?

ok I have a job for a credit union. it has a background that's around 90"x60" tall with a rectangle out of the lower part for a atm machine.
    it will have a logo about 2' square on one corner. they want a blue color that I can't get in dibond and I know my painting skills and space are not good for a great paint job on such a large surface. so I suggested using vinyl to cover it. so the question is do I need to remove the vinyl where the letters go? they may be dibond and I would glue them to the backing. but I don't know if I can glue them onto the vinyl or not.
    I am also wondering about the background. they are not sure if it can rest on the floor or not and want the weight as light as possible. it will be off the wall about 3/4" as there are things on the wall to get past. I was thinking of 1/4" sintra for the job. though now with the vinyl maybe just 1/4" ultra light mdf would work well too.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Steve

I would be concerned with the durability of the materials you are considering. If you really have to paint the surface to match the color you want I would talk to an auto painting or a powder coating firm for advice.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have used vinyl rather than paint as a background many times, especially when matching to something else that color or when a really smooth glossy surface is needed.

I use silicone to adhere laser cut letters of acrylic, or CNC cut sintra or foam letters onto it. That part works just fine, no need to cut out the vinyl where the letters go. On the other hand, the vinyl will not adhere well to MDF unless it's first painted, and the edges can be a problem. Even with paint it's hard to get the vinyl to stick to them, best to either wrap it around onto the back (which then also has to be painted) or cut it flush and use paint to match it on the edges.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

thanks for the advice. so a choice between using say sintra and vinyl for the background. if I went that way I think i would just have a sign place apply the vinyl and cut the letters out so they would be easy to place.
    or do the back in mdf and send it off to be painted. if I did that I would pocket where the letters go to make it easy to place.
    They don't want a gloss background does vinyl come in a more mat finish?
    Steve knight
    cnc routing