Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet saw...Is wide rip capacity all that important?

Cabinet saw...Is wide rip capacity all that important?

In the next couple weeks I'm going to be purchasing a Grizzly cabinet saw. Initially I was planning on the G0691, which has the long extension table and rails, giving it a 50" rip capacity. Now I'm questioning the need, and am considering the G0690, which is the same saw with a shorter extension table and rails, giving it a 29-1/2" rip capacity. Otherwise they're the same saw, with a $100 price difference. The increased cost isn't such an issue.

I'm upgrading from a contractor saw, which had pretty similar rip capacity to the G0690. I don't do all that much with sheet goods anyhow, and when I do I tend to break them down into more manageable pieces with the circular saw. So, I don't see myself moving the fence all the way to the right of that 50" capacity. And I certainly don't see myself cutting an 8' sheet of plywood into two 4'x4' squares on the table saw...That just scares me.

On the other hand I don't want to miss something that I could use the extra capacity for and end up wishing that I'd opted for the G0691 with longer table and rails. The G0691 also has support legs for the table.

This saw will be stationary in the middle of my shop, and overall length of the saw/rails isn't a concern...Plenty of room for either.

Does it seem like a no-brainer to spend the extra $100 and get the longer rails, or will it be something I'll probably never find a need for? I'd love to hear some opinions on rail length.

If you have room, I'd get the longer ones.

Admittedly, though, I only have 32", and ever since I switched to a track-saw for breaking down sheet goods, I don't think I've ever once needed longer rails.

I would be OK with 36". If you do case goods at all the wider rip is really nice but you can definitely live without it. 30" may be a bit on the small side.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

While it sounds like you may not need the extra rip capacity that often, you may find you like having a nice long table. I don't have the room for long rails currently and man do I miss not being able to stack my stock there when running a lot of pieces at once. Longer rails and table would be worth all 10,000 pennies in my opinion.

The obvious answer to your question, is that it's important if you plan on cutting sheet goods on the saw. I doubt you'll be ripping a lot of 50" wide lumber.

Now, to each there own, but I prefer a track saw for sheet goods. I just ordered a SawStop with a 36" fence.

Good post. Keep in mind that a saw with 50" rails will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 85" wide overall. My PM2000 with 30" rails is 65" wide. That makes things pretty tight for your average basement shop.

Hi Aaron,

For an extra $100.00 I would go with the longer rails. That being said, it depends what you will do with your saw. However, the more experience you get the more you will do. If you buy the longer rails now, and have the room, you can grow into your new saw.

I have a Powermatic 66 with long rails, and a sliding table. I rip and cross cut 4X8 sheets of ply with no problems. I don't need the extra space a lot, but when I do, it is sure nice to have.

Enjoy your new saw, Sam

If you have the room, it is crazy not to get the longer rails.

I have 28" and need more about once a year. But if I had the room I would definitely get the longer rails, cause you might really need it some day and it will be too late.

Of course if I had the room I would also have a RAS, shaper, 20" planer, and edge sander. However, I get by without any of them.

I have long rails on my Sawstop and I'm glad I do.

95% of my cuts are with the rip fence set at something less than 30", but if you have the space and budget for the longer rails, it's worth it when you need it.

For $100 do it. maby you will only use it every so often.. but, if u dont have it, youll curse yourself every time after..

I have a Uni with the 40" Vega fence system. In 20+ years of, admittedly sporadic, use I've only needed more rip capacity 2 or 3 times. There's always a work around solution for those times. That said, I agree with others - if you have the room and the $100, get the bigger setup. Maybe it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it?
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

I would get the longer one myself. I wish mine were longer (I would have especially liked the option of adding the router table).

You may use the extra length only on rare occasions, but when you do...

You might also condier using it as a dining table when you have guests over. Think of the seating capacity!

Also...how handy would that be for when someone needs something sliced!!!

I would suggest IF you physically ahve the space to fit a 7' wide saw in your shop get the long rails period. Although it is counter-intuative the longer rails can actually SAVE you room. WMH are the real innovators in this area but any long railed saw's extension wing is the perfect place for a router table also cut you a sheet of hardboard the size of the saw top and use it for an assembly table.

I am one that thinks the longer rails are a no brainer.

Aaron,

You might not need 50" rip capacity, but you might need 31", or 40", so I'd recommend going with the wider table.

I have a 50" rip and almost never use it since I got a festool track saw for sheet goods. If it is too big to safely manage solo on the table saw I end up using the track saw - which limits the table saw to <30" for most stuff.

If you work in your shop alone I do not not think you can do large panels on anything other than a euro slider - so to answer your question - if you have a helper you might use 48" rip but for me that never happens.