Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet saw...Is wide rip capacity all that important?

I'd do both. Buy the saw with no rails/fence if possible and add a the 90+ inch TS-III Incra system. You can incorporate a router table wing and get double duty from the positioning system (especially if you get the joinery package).

I went from 32" to 42" to 52". If you got the space it comes in handy ever so often.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! (Space permitting!

All that extra table area can be put to great use. Add a router lift. Build in storage drawers beneath. Piece O Cake if the saw will not be moved from its central position. But, I have found a sturdy mobile base comes in as handy as a 50" capacity. Ya just never know....
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    Of course this all depends on what you plan to do. I found my 30" capacity frequently a problem. I shifted the tube of my Beis fence over one screw hole and now find the 40" capacity to be fine. I also found a 6" jointer too small 80% of the time. My current 8" is fine. These experiences will be different for others.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Oh I forgot to add, narrow railed saws also look whimpy, especially sitting in the middle of a big open shop space...

It is also nice having a larger table to support a large crosscut sled.

Often people think you need that rip capacity only to cut down sheet goods.
    I upgraded from a 30" one to a 52" one and needed that twice in the last two projects. You may have to cross cut large glue-ups (like table tops).
    Other times it will be used to stack (to the right of the fence) the pieces you want to cut. If you have the space, $100 is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Oh I forgot to add, narrow railed saws also look whimpy, especially sitting in the middle of a big open shop space...
    Thanks for all the replies and opinions gentlemen. I believe we've reached a general consensus that the longer rails is going to be the best option...Even though I probably won't move the fence out that far now you never know what projects in the future will call for. I can't disagree with Van Huskey either.

I'm forunate that space really isn't a concern in my basement shop, so I have plenty of room for the longer saw.

I have managed to get myself all excited about the potential for a massive outfeed table to sit right behind this saw, and the longer saw makes for a longer outfeed table.

If the cost isn't an issue, and you've got the space, I'd definitely get the larger capacity....a move you're not likely to regret, which beats the heck out of kicking yourself in the pants for not doing it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Get the wide one. You'll be happier for it. Unlike what some have said, full sheets of ply can be easily handled by one person. Outfeed tables are the answer. I've used the big rip capacity many times over the years.

Get the longer rails. As mentioned, you may want to rip more than 30 inches. Another benefit, is you can drop in a router plate into the extension, and have a nice large router table. I have a 52" saw, never cut anything close to the limit, but I do 34" cuts to build a cabinet base. The extra space is also used as my layout table. I agree that breaking down sheet goods should be done with a circular saw and a guide. Festool Track saw for the folks without a budget.

Better yet, if space is not an issue, forgo the stock rails and get INCRA rails, and a router plate and have the saw/router table from hell.....

I switched from a 50 to a 30 on my unisaw when I started using my festool saw. Im thinking about switching back now that I have the space. I rarely need the wide rip capacity since switching but in the rare cases it sure would be nice.

if you have alot of room I would go for the 50".
    Fullerbuilt

I have a small shop and no way could I handle long rails, but if I could...... Man, it's better to have and not want, than to not have and need. Sure I get along with short rails, but again.... it's better to have and not.......

You will most likely not need 50" capacity ever, but you will need 32" - 36" occasionally. You can easily add 8 inches to G0690 by shifting the rail permanently (that's what I did on my G0690. Works great). But if you have room, go for G0691. it's not about that 50" capacity, but the extra work surface you get. That is priceless !

Nonetheless, I am extremely happy with my G0690 with 37 1/2" rip capacity.

By the way, I just noticed Grizzly has introduced new hybrid saw G0715P which basically looks like G0690 with 2HP motor, but almost $400 cheaper ! You may want to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Milind Patil View Post
    By the way, I just noticed Grizzly has introduced new hybrid saw G0715P which basically looks like G0690 with 2HP motor, but almost $400 cheaper ! You may want to look into that.
    I've adopted the "go big or go home" mentality. Going for the 3hp version with the 50" rails...Upgrading from a 1-1/2hp contractor saw to a 2hp hybrid saw isn't enough of an upgrade.