Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting Harbor Freight Dust Collector Motor Vertically

Wooo Thats a hot one

It was about 103 in the shop(garage) today .

BUT I did get my rearranged DC to a working state. I made a similar unit to Alan and vawoodworker. It utilizes a Phil Thien baffle.

I put it on a plywood base with the original HF wheels. I can see after putting everything on the plywood it needs a torsion box underneath so that will have to come later.

The wynn filter came this week to my surprise as I ordered Wed. and it came Friday!

I decided to try and mount the 6" HFDC MOD 'd blower directly to the separator as I am planning to mount it either to the wall or to a set of uprights connected to the base. Between the 3/4" MDF there is about 2 1/2" 6" PVC so that it protrudes a little into the sepereater.

In the pictures you will see my HF 4" pipe as the supply but my main trunk is going to get replaced to 6" ( already have the PVC just need two more 45* elbows). I will also move the unit all the way down the wall when the 6" gets installed so it has a gradual 45* angle from the main trunk running overhead.

I really wanted the inlet for the filter ring to align with the blower so it is currently spaced by some planed 2x4's to keep things air tight but plan to, once the motor is mounted, use some lever action to lift the can up to the unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How you you empty the silver trash can? Do you have to lift the motor and sperate off each time ?

Quote Originally Posted by brian c miller View Post
    How you you empty the silver trash can? Do you have to lift the motor and sperate off each time ?
    next weekend i'm going to add the torsion box under the cart and build a bracket to suspend the whole motor and separator from the wall. I need to get the remaining parts for the 6" ducting to make sure I allow for clearance on the bracket. This will allow me to use some lever or wedge to prop the can up under the unit. It is just kinda resting there for now.

Success!

I finished up today and got the 6" pipes working with it mounted to the wall. The can is held up by some scrap for now. Instead of a torsion box I just screwed the old metal base under the ply for added support.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice, Greg. I did something similar and am very satisfied.

I'd bet that clear plastic bag won't ever get anything in it, though. If you replaced it with a sub-micron fabric bag, you might get even more airflow.

Has anyone figured out a way to make the exhaust portion of the HF DC 6" (the green ring part that connects to the cartridge filter and collection bag is a 5" connector.)

I don't know how much this adds to SP and cuts down airflow compared to what would be for an entire 6" system.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Has anyone figured out a way to make the exhaust portion of the HF DC 6" (the green ring part that connects to the cartridge filter and collection bag is a 5" connector.)

I don't know how much this adds to SP and cuts down airflow compared to what would be for an entire 6" system.

I thought about that, but never came up with a good solution.

However, if you do what Greg did (remove the piece of 5" flex and connect the blower directly to the bag ring), you'll see hugely increased airflow. That piece of flex duct adds a lot of restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I thought about that, but never came up with a good solution.

However, if you do what Greg did (remove the piece of 5" flex and connect the blower directly to the bag ring), you'll see hugely increased airflow. That piece of flex duct adds a lot of restriction.
    I have to work on that sometime.

http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php

I thought about using this tool to create the template for how to cut the ring. I thought I could use 6"HVAC and snippers to create tabs that could be pop riveted onto the outside of the ring after the hole was made larger from the template.

I decided though that I needed to stop woodshopping and start woodworking for a while.

My geometry may be off, but couldn't you just scribe the 5" opening 1/2" larger all the way around for a 6" pipe to fit?
    I dunno, maybe an elliptical opening is different than a circle in this respect. Just thinking out loud.

Jeff