Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not saying I have to clean my shop....

I'm not saying I have to clean my shop....

But after one hour of work....

1) I still can't find my Festool sander (yes I have a systainer... empty)

2) I have found bosch and ryobi drill/driver batteries-- but only Milwaukee and Makita drills

Just making an observation here.....

Have you looked under the shovel?
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

once you find the shovel, that can help you start to clean up... first, form piles of similar tools... e.g., all the drills in one pile, all the bandsaws in another pile, all the shapers in a third pile. From there, it is easy.

It's under the soap.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Seems that there was a garage sale at yer place last fall and she forgot to inform you

Murphy at work here. When you need a tool really bad, it is nowhere to be found. When it is not needed, it is right there. I have a knack for hiding things from myself also. Do a careful clean-up of the shop and it may come out of its hiding place.

You probably left your drills where you left your keys.

Thank you for making me feel good about how clean my shop is... I know where everything is, it's under my wife's stuff...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    LOML asked me a few days ago why I had certain tools just laying on a bench. My reply was because that's where they belong; I store them there so I can find them easily.

And, where do pencils go? I lost 2 in less than 30 minutes. Do they run off to join the sock that escapes from the dryer or are they with that lone shoe on the side of the road?

I've spent a week turning my house and shop upside down trying to find the two packs of vegetable netting I had a local gardening place order for me. I swear I can recall bringing it home and showing my wife that after dealing with ever garden center around that I finally found them.

Finally, I decide to call the place that ordered them for me to see if by chance they ordered any extra. They recall seeing some on a table and ask how many packs I'm looking for, I say two and off they go to check. Returning to the phone, they ask my name, then inform me that those two packs are mine, prepaid, and awaiting pickup! .

Oh well, at least my cucumbers and cantaloupes are climbing their trellises. Hope I'm not to senile to enjoy them when they make.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    And, where do pencils go? I lost 2 in less than 30 minutes. Do they run off to join the sock that escapes from the dryer or are they with that lone shoe on the side of the road?
    I fixed the wandering socks by pinning mine together with a safety pin before I put them in the hamper. My tape measures, however, seem to be making up for it. I swear I have like 4 of them in the shop and I can never find any of them.

We need CNC dust collectors that can be set to suck up dust ,chips and tools you don't want to find immediately. The dust goes in a bag, the tools go into bins prioritized by need for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    LOML asked me a few days ago why I had certain tools just laying on a bench. My reply was because that's where they belong; I store them there so I can find them easily.

I may actually have your pencils... In the last 2 weeks a small box of pens and pencils just sort of magically appeared in my shop, and nobody will admit to putting it there...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

14. redundancy

At any given time there are several drills, a half dozen pencils, a few tape measures and assorted levels, squares, glue bottles and such out and about. They are never lost but they are rarely used consecutively in the same hour.

You just need a few more of whatever you believe to be lost scattered about the shop.

Once you've done a thorough cleaning of your shop and put everything in its proper place, you'll discover that you left the sander in the back of your truck from that quick job you needed it for last week.