Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12x12 shed morphed into adecent little shop

12x12 shed morphed into adecent little shop

shop project

when we started it was nearly impossible to get inside and shut the door (the door opened in for some crazy reason )

here is what it looked like at first ...........................

then we got busy ...........................
    then several months lots of changes (no pictures for awhile ) .....
    during this time we jacked the roof upto go from from 8' to 10' ceiling height inside, added 2" rigid foam insulation board to the ceiling, and found the time to enclose our little utility trailer swapped the door to open out , added a back door (also opens out) and probably some stuff i am forgetting

then today after a few more changes i finally took some more pictures

as you can see we added a drill press to the bench
    the base of which is mounted on a slide out shelf so that the top of the base is almost tight to the bottom surface of the benchtop

added a porthole in the wall to accomodate the moter saw station

storage cabinets above ....
    sheet goods storage and a few more shelves..

band saw got a new base .......
    so did the table saw ......
    as well as a new outfeed table..
    we got interested in turning and and added a Rikon Mini lathe first and yesterday a Grizzly 16x43 joined the arsenal
    a Rikon 12"disc sander , and more storage

some lumber storage and a quieter location for the DC

the white square is a vent for the DC exhaust
    added a small AC unit (it gets HOT in North Carolina ) you can also see the now enclosed trailer in the background
    what it looks like ATM looking in the front door

in addition to what is readily visible in these pictures we have a Dewalt 12" planer tucked under the bench till its needed, 3 shop vacs (1 dedicated to the tablesaw , its in the cabinet directly under the saw; 1 dedicated to the miter saw , directly under the saw and one for the disc sander and general cleanup)

the Grizzly lathe is mounted on a very heavy mobile work bench that i made from some oak commercial doors that became available for the right price .... FREE ! The end of the Griz lathe/mobile bench setup can tuck under the workbench at the right end to allow use of the backdoor and/or make room for ripping/planing long stock ...... the Rikon lathe is also mounted on a bench made from the same doors however that bench is fixed band saw and table saw are on mobile cabinets with double locking casters
    there is a french cleat on the wall between the disc sander and the sheet goods storage there are 2 assembly station surfaces that can be hung on that cleat when needed just have to rearrange the bandsaw and tablesaw orientation when in use
    almost forgot the grinder setup for sharpening the lathe tools ...... that is on a waist high shelf , the back of which is the outside face of the sheet goods storage
    there is also the predicatable collection of drills, routers, circular saws, and all the accessories and jigs to go with it

about all thats left to do is sort /organize to utilise the storage we have created in the past week and to add the air filtration at some point when the funds become available

my uncle (we share the shop) claims that we are tryingto see how many tools we can stuff in a 12x12 shed and still get in it to work hehe

there is a surprising amount of working space in there i can cut up full sheets of plywood in there when i need to

thanks for looking at our little piece of the pie

Really nicely done! Enjoyable read, great pics documenting a well-done project. Tight, but you've got most everything you need in there, I can see myself working in that shop!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Excellent job Don! Love the amount of thought and planning you put into everything.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Agreed--seems like it was very well thought through. You packed an awful lot in there!

I must admit, i am stunned you got that much shoved into a 12x12. Nicely done!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Now I understand

My shed was only 10 X 12. I needed the extra 2 feet to fit everything in!

Very impressive shop and well thought through. I liked how you were able to set the drill press aside the miter saw and hide the base underneath for the miter saw support. Nice..

Very well done! Makes me feel better about the possibilities of my 8' x 20' shed-shop!

I read somewhere that the most functional shops are the smaller ones, because, well they have to be!!

Very nice use of space, never would have thought you could get that much in there!

12. the very useful hole

That is straight out of science fiction, something Dr. Who would have. At first I was mystified. In your photo sequence it shows the outside first, I am thinking, huh? I belly laughed when I saw daylight to the right of your miter saw. This shop would do well on a boat but you would have to have a stronger hatch. I need a very useful hole in the low ceiling of my garage/basement work shop. I just don't think something poking up into the living room would be that welcome.

Well done.

now i understand

my shed was only 10 x 12. I needed the extra 2 feet to fit everything in! :d
    :d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Talking

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Talking

now i'm the one laughing , Bruce