Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table saw choices

Greg--
    Where are you located? Not in your profile, and almost always when folks post asking for help on finding new tools, if you give your location someone will chime in with a good deal on Craigs List etc...

For instance: if you were in AZ or southern CA, I could point you to over 10 good quality used Powermatic 66, or Delta Unisaw, for about $700. Or I'd sell you my Delta contractor saw with 56" bies fence and router table built in. Or someone else would offer.

Honestly, having had a contrator saw for most of my life, then a PM66, and spending a LOT of time looking for tools on craigs list... I honestly think that anyone who wants a full-size cabinet saw (which should be you) has a very good chance of finding one for $700 with 2-3 months of patience. Take the table off, carry it downstairs in a couple pieces.
    Last edited by Dave MacArthur; 06-15-2010 at 1:14 PM.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    My 22124 is 5 years old this month. I am giving to a friend this summer, but only because I decided on the similar powered SS.

There may be some, but I don't know anybody that owns or owned a 22124 that isn't/wasn't happy with it.
    I too own the 22124. I have had no complaints what so ever with it yet.

I am holding out for a Sawstop, but I would seriously consider a used cabinet or hybrid over any type of contractors saw. The weight is not that big of a deal, nothing that a few friends can't help with, combined with sime disassembly and re-assembly.

Just my .02
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
    You might want to check the width of the miter slot on the Craftsman. I was under the impression they were narrower than the standard 3/4", and might limit the jigs and fixtures you can use (Unless you buy Craftsman, and that might be the point)
    The 22124, 22116, 22114 all have standard miter slots, and will accept any standard miter gauge or jig that fits a standard miter slot.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Greg--
    Where are you located? Not in your profile, and almost always when folks post asking for help on finding new tools, if you give your location someone will chime in with a good deal on Craigs List etc...
    I'm located in Hartford, CT. I'm probably just going to wait until the Grizzly arrives, unless something spectacular shows up before then. The main reason my wife agreed to a new table saw was the addition of the riving knife... which is an important safety feature in her mind. So riving knife = new saw, which is perfectly fine with me

It seems others who have had to wait for back-ordered Grizzlys waited until at least the initial expected date. Haven't seen anyone mention the tool came in earlier. But I'm prepared to wait.

Getting a saw into a basement is a one time job. With enough friends (and a six-pack or two AFTER the work) you shouldn't have a problem getting a cabinet saw down into a basement. It's a piece of cake if you remove the motor and the top--remember cabinet saws are MUCH easier to realign after you remove the top than a contractor saw, and typically have a smaller footprint than contractor saws, though about the same as a hybrid saw. But they hold alignment well, particularly when in comes to any bevel operations. A cabinet saw is likely to be the last you would buy, while a contractor saw could leave you wanting more down the road.

You might check out craigs list. If you need a saw NOW, then picking up a quick and dirty contractor or building site saw on CL that you could sell again for nearly what you paid might be a way to go.

The Craftsman 22116, Ridgid R4511, Steel City 35290/35900G, and General International 50-240GT are all manufcatured side by side in the same factory.

All three companies have a riving knife, enclosed base (3/4 in the case of Ridgid) and cabinet mounted trunions. The SC35290 and R4511 have the lower level fence system; split rails and no stock fences. The 22116, 35900G and 50-240GT have the industrial fence, solid guide raid, longer front and back angles for a table board and aux faces.

The fence is what makes the big difference in pricing, since the SC35290 and R4511 are MSRP around $799. The others are in the $999-1,099 range, but the biggest issue is that all parts are initially distributed by Orion/Steel City. Ridgid and Craftsman have parts ordering websites, but SC only offers through distributors, and one thing they've been dismal at is maintaining their distributors. After losing Woodcraft they have effectively been kicked out of the standard retail market. Also after the R4511 Home Depot debacle the 22116 seems to be the most likely model to stick around. I wouldn't be surprised to find a "new" granite or steel hybrid available from Grizzly in the near future using this design, the guts are solid.

I purchased the R4511 because of the price, I like the Hercu-lift and the warrenty. The other companies offer a 5 year warrenty on the top, but the Ridgid "lifetime" seems better on face value. You can still find them available, though the price has moved up to $399. Is this type of saw a 3hp Cabinet? No, but it is an adjustable alignment heavy monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bgerook View Post
    I'm located in Hartford, CT. I'm probably just going to wait until the Grizzly arrives, unless something spectacular shows up before then. The main reason my wife agreed to a new table saw was the addition of the riving knife... which is an important safety feature in her mind. So riving knife = new saw, which is perfectly fine with me

It seems others who have had to wait for back-ordered Grizzlys waited until at least the initial expected date. Haven't seen anyone mention the tool came in earlier. But I'm prepared to wait.
    Sawstop has a DVD that's scarier than Mike Meyers, Jason Vorhees, and Freddy Kruger all put together. Show her that she should be begging you to get a Sawstop. Worked for me.

I'm with Johnny buy the SS contractor saw, or one of the other versions if price allows. Every time my wife is in the shop watching me use the saw she says she is so grateful that we waited until we could afford to buy a SS. It was a MAJOR step up from my Dewalt benchtop.

Blog Entries
    Just my .02; I don't care if it was a SS, I would never go back to the alignment issues of a contractor style saw ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just my .02; I don't care if it was a SS, I would never go back to the alignment issues of a contractor style saw ;-)

+1 or maybe 5...

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Allen View Post
    I purchased the R4511 because of the price, I like the Hercu-lift and the warrenty. The other companies offer a 5 year warrenty on the top, but the Ridgid "lifetime" seems better on face value. You can still find them available, though the price has moved up to $399. Is this type of saw a 3hp Cabinet? No, but it is an adjustable alignment heavy monster.
    Just curious where it's possible to find these R4511's?? I haven't seen them on Home Depot's website or in the local store.