Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone run Cat5 or Cat6 to their shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Frye View Post
    If you do not disconnect the cable before a storm be ready to exchange either the network card or power supply just from experience.................
    I was told there is a way to bury a lightning 'sink' next to the conduit to protect the wires inside.

Waiting to hear back from a fiber guy.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    Have you tried a 802.11N Router ? Should have better range, although you will probably need to get a new network card for your computer......
    2 "N" routers were used to make the bridge. A couple of trees nearby kills the signal.

Make sure the electrical service is set up safely for the two buildings if you use copper. Otherwise you can get shocks and blow up nic cards. Consult an electrician for sure about this.

Your distance is fine; cat5 is fine to 90 meters plus 10 meters for patch cables. more than that will work, but you will get bit timing errors which may or may not cause problems. Probably not but.... Cat 6 is ok to the same distance but will not run at 1000 Mbit over that distance, but who cares. Be careful if you put a phone line in the same conduit. When it rings the 90 volts wil create induced voltage in the network line, and may give you grief.

If you go with fibre, pull an extra pair, you never know. For that matter, do the same with copper....and make sure whoever does it leaves the string in.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 06-09-2010 at 11:34 PM.
    Paul

Oh thats easy.....cut the trees down.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

You might also look into Ethernet over Power or Powerline Ethernet, if both house and shop are fed from the same main panel. Check out this link. I have installed this in some very large houses with real good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Beall View Post
    Good point. Maybe another reason to use fiber...

mark

I was also going to recommend fiber. Whenever we do runs of that size (between buildings) we always go fiber. Use twice as many strands as you think you need (2 per connection...sometimes you have to regrind the ends, nice to have spares). Slap a media converter on each end and you are off and running.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Be careful if you put a phone line in the same conduit. When it rings the 90 volts wil create induced voltage in the network line, and may give you grief.
    Have you seen that or are you speculating? I ask because in industrial environments, I've seen problems occur when they lay in in the same cable tray as 480V, but not much else caused by wiring. Overheated or substandard equipment is another story. In my own house I've run multiple runs to each room and most of it runs along one basement wall and branches from there. That big bundle contains phone, Ethernet, and video coax and it works fine. I ran 2 cat5e's to each room, one blue jack and one white jack. blue is ethernet, white is phone but they can be repurposed as needed. That's how most offices I've worked in were wired as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scira View Post
    Oh thats easy.....cut the trees down.
    ...or move the shop.

Mitchell, Newegg has media converters for as little as $60. TrendNet but they're getting good reviews. Obviously you need a pair.

I haven't yet found long preterminated cables. But I'm wondering, can you pull a pre-terminated fiber cable through 220' of 3/4" conduit? Or do you have to pull unterminated cable and have someone do the terminations. I'm guessing the terminations aren't a one-time DIY job?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Mitchell, Newegg has media converters for as little as $60. TrendNet but they're getting good reviews. Obviously you need a pair.

I haven't yet found long preterminated cables. But I'm wondering, can you pull a pre-terminated fiber cable through 220' of 3/4" conduit? Or do you have to pull unterminated cable and have someone do the terminations. I'm guessing the terminations aren't a one-time DIY job?
    DIY fiber ends... yea, I'm guessing not. I can run 2" conduit if I have to.

Same here too actually, since I haven't bought anything yet. Did you find long cables?

I might call a couple communication-type companies and see what they'd want to pull in fiber and terminate it for me. Probably more than I want to spend.

I run this for a living. I would suggest you try some of the companies listed on the internet or locally to buy a pre terminated Cat. 5e cable or a pre terminated fiber cable.

You can order the fiber to have a pulling eye on it. That will protect the connectors, sice you are putting tension on the "eye" and not the cable itself. Should be no problem unless you have some sharp bends in the conduit.

If you go with bulk Cat 5e cable, you should be able to get jacks with color coded termination marked. Just do it the same on both ends. Again, no problem.

Blast away with a DIY wifi antenna: http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

Fun and classy looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    Blast away with a DIY wifi antenna: http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

Fun and classy looking.
    Thanks, but I'm running a business here. Money I got, time to frig around with coffee cans I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Johnson View Post
    I run this for a living. I would suggest you try some of the companies listed on the internet or locally to buy a pre terminated Cat. 5e cable or a pre terminated fiber cable.

You can order the fiber to have a pulling eye on it. That will protect the connectors, sice you are putting tension on the "eye" and not the cable itself. Should be no problem unless you have some sharp bends in the conduit.

If you go with bulk Cat 5e cable, you should be able to get jacks with color coded termination marked. Just do it the same on both ends. Again, no problem.
    Any idea what to do at the ends after the connection? There are dozens of choices.:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20Transceivers

Same for fiber cable/connectors:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ptic&x=17&y=29

Maybe I need to be in a different forum on this one....
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 06-10-2010 at 11:11 AM.