Thread: DC Noise

DC Noise

As I posted earlier, I got a sweet deal on a 2HP Oneida cyclone. Upgrading my DC has been on the to do list for a while, just waiting for the right deal or sale. I was planning on a 2HP single stage, but I couldn't pass this up. The noise of a larger DC and especially that of a cyclone has been a worry point for me. I have a basement shop directly under the living area.

If I temporarily wire the motor and set in on top of the cyclone body, without any duct work attached to the inlet and outlet will this give me a good approximation of how loud the unit would be once installed? I only need to run the DC long enough to check out the noise in the living space. If I shouldn't even run it that long, I could attach some of the reducers to the inlet to provide some resistance. Not a big deal. I'm more interested in finding out how load it will be.

Anthony,

Use something so that it has some restriction. Oneida says in the installation manual for my 3 HP to NOT RUN it without duct work hooked up.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken is correct in that you will need some intake restriction, and the cyclone will louder without duct work.

I have a 1.5HP Oneida cyclone directly under my living room, no problems with a too noisy living room.

Regards, Rod.

P.S.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...+cyclone+noise

The above link is a post I made with sound level readings for the cyclone..........Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 06-10-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added Post Script

Running the motor under NO load will let the smoke out of the motor.
    The factory does not put extra smoke in the motors when they manufacture them and there is no way to put the smoke back in the motor. Once you let the smoke out of the motor, it will not work.

lol
    you know this post is gonna have people googling "smoke" and asking if their 110 V setup has as much smoke as if they run it 220v...

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Actually running the DC with no restrictions is running it at maximum current or maximum load....and that's what causes it to let the smoke out......though most of the motors are protected ....it's still a nuisance!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It is 76 DbA (going from memory) just about anywhere in my shop.

The noise next to the unit is almost the same. If I stand x feet from the cyclone unit and x feet from an open gate it is the same.

The noise going through the pipes makes that much noise.

It is loud but not obnoxiously so and not a hazard unless you run it 24/7.

I think OSHA allows 8 hours per day at 90 DbA without hearing protection.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I have an 2HP Oneida cyclone (V2000) and I have to say that when I first turned it on I was actually surprised at just how quiet it is. It is quieter than most of my power tools. It is actually quieter than the vacuum cleaner I use in the house. Spec sheet says 73 dBA, which is around the order of a car at idle. I did isolate the stand legs from the floor with 3 layers of rubber mats and I used the same material to isolate the duct work from the joist at the first main bend where it rises from the DC and bends at the ceiling.

- d