Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4" Quick Connect for Dust Collection

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    None of the sites I see list the actual ID and OD of...well, anything. I bought some 4 inch S&D PVC, and IIRC the ID is close to 4 1/4 or so. I need blast gates, quick-disconnects, etc. I can get Y's and 90's and so forth from the Borg for the S&D, but if the more DC specific fittings won't work with 4 inch S&D it is a waste of money to buy it.
    There is really no standard.

Personally, I build my own blast gates, so that solves one problem.

Otherwise, to get various things to fit together, there are a few options:

1) PVC can be easily heated to compress or stretch it. Do this outside with a heatgun. Once hot, you can stretch it around what you want, or compress it (with a hose clamp).

2) Flex duct will stretch to a degree, especially if you carefully snip the wire a few inches back from the end, and excise it from the plastic

3) There are some interesting fittings that you can make/adapt from plumbing fittings. For instance, I've found that the outside of a S&D coupler will fit tightly inside a SCH40 coupler

4) Ferco couplers (the rubber things with hose clamps you get for plumbing) also work very well for adapting!
    Last edited by Dan Friedrichs; 06-11-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: added #4

I sourced two quick disconnect assemblies from Grizzly awhile ago. The meet my needs on to overhead utility drops; one services the router table and is connected only when I'm using that facility and the other one was there for the drum sander I used to pull out from the "tool corral".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with 'Why complicate it?'

Pics should be self explanatory. 4" S&D and 6X4 reducer. All purchased at a local hardware store. I think I used either silicone sealant or liquid nails to fasten hose to fitting.
    4-coupler.JPG
    J-P.JPG
    BS.JPG
    JP4.JPG
    JP6.JPG