Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Am I alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    If someone is doing something for a practical, useful reason, I have no problem with rescuers being required. But for rescuers to be endangered or God forbid, killed or injured because of someone trying to break a record....I'm sorry it's immoral in my book.
    So we shouldn't rescue rich folks who get lost or injured at sea while heading for Nassau to drink and gamble? That doesn't seem like a practical purpose to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Even more amazing, we found them at night! Actually, it was a very alert lookout we had up on the signal bridge. He saw a tiny light in the distance and reported it........
    You're driving/riding the most impressive piece of nuke-powered "power projector" ever invented - I'd hope (and am glad to hear) there are eagle-eyes standing watch 24/7.

So - really, now - how fast does that sucker really go when you stomp on the throttle? Betcha that fantail was taller than the command bridge.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I concur... what is wrong with these parents.

Just because one can... does not mean one should.
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Fair enough. I still believe we have turned teens into china dolls who need to be protected from themselves instead of trying to make them into independent autonomous people.
    My first thought of concern was not navigating the oceans. My first thought came about a 16 year old girl who looks to be adorable. There are jerks out there that could easily take advantage of her on the high seas. And calling out for help doesn't seem to work if you need help within minutes.

I then thought of all the Piracy that has been going on. Yea, they'd take her hostage too.

Just not worth it.
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    You're driving/riding the most impressive piece of nuke-powered "power projector" ever invented - I'd hope (and am glad to hear) there are eagle-eyes standing watch 24/7.

So - really, now - how fast does that sucker really go when you stomp on the throttle? Betcha that fantail was taller than the command bridge.
    Oh, the Navy loves to stand watches! On a carrier, there are people on watch in engineering, all the time, 24/7, year round. Yes, even in port. The engineering spaces are ALWAYS manned. Underway, there is a team on watch on the main bridge, on the signal bridge, the fantail, in Combat, in Flag Command and in Intel. When flight operations are ongoing, there is a watch for the arresting gear. The main mess desk is open twenty hours a day, so those guys are almost always working.

I honestly don't know how fast a nuke carrier can go. You see, when they're new, they take the reactor to a certain point and say, "That's 100%". It's got a lot of steam left, but for safety and othe reasons, they set that. I a true emergency, I expect they will push it beyond 100%.

I can tell you on TR, the monitor which showed the current speed stopped just over 30 knots. But I could certainly feel the ship accelerating long after that. Enterprise is probably the fastest carrier, and possibly the fastest large ship, afloat. While the Nimitz class have two reactors, Enterprise has eight!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Kent,

What I am saying is that to me....IMHO.....it is immoral for idiots or ego maniacs to put themselves in positions that require rescuers be unnecessarily endangered to rescue those folks.
    We call that Thursday night.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I find it interesting that everyone is so passionate with their opinions but, instead of offering mine, I am going to remind everyone to keep their emotions in check and, if need be, just agree to disagree.

Thanks! Have a great day!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hmmm - I dunno

I think we often times underestimate what our kids can do.

I think we lower our expectations too much, as to what they "should" do.

I think we "baby" them too much.

I think kids should be doing calculus in high school.

I am a parent - my kids are grown and have their own families now. We all have GREAT relations with them.

No - I don't think 16 is too young to sail around the world.
    Yes - I do think 16 is too young to sail around the world.

It depends on what they have learned prior to being 16.

Most of the kids in the US that have been raised in homes with very low expectations - yes - way too young.

I agree that kids may be babied too much. I agree that many kids are capable of great feats. Many kids show amazing wisdom.
    Those kids under 18 or so can't get a tattoo without parental permission or even get a drivers license without a signature in many states. A parent is not allowed to tell the courts that they thought it was okay for their underage child to have relations with an older person.
    We have laws like that in hopes that a youth will gain the requisite life experience to allow for long term thinking.
    We have to accept at some point that a young person has to live with most decisions being made for them.
    Did her folks explain to her that she could die attempting this? That the could float for days dying of thirst while she slowly goes mad? That the mast could break off and disable her?
    I've read many first hand accounts of shipwreck victims and people stranded at sea.
    If I said okay to a trip like this and my kid died I would feel responsible... and I would be. I would blame myself for the world's loss.... and I should.
    Some synonyms for custodian:Keeper, steward, defender, guardian, protector, shielder.
    Last edited by John Shuk; 06-12-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Well.... yea, I agree to a shallow point. To take this to heart though, you have to allow kids who skateboard without a helmet to die on the street of a cracked skull while you rescue the ones who wear a helmet, but break only a wrist. No helmet = too much risk, you're on your own. Right? Good luck with that one at a town hall meeting.

Rescue one, you've got to rescue all.

Mitch, your response is flawed in that the kid out skateboarding is NOT trying to attempt a prodigious feat. Sailing around the world solo is both prodigious and dangerous. Choosing to do so includes accepting the risk. The kid out skateboarding is just having a good time and is neither accepting a great risk nor attempting a prodigious feat.
    Apples and Oranges, but I see your point, and for the kids on the street, I agree with it.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    Did her folks explain to her that she could die attempting this? That the could float for days dying of thirst while she slowly goes mad?
    I saw a TV interview with her parents. Yes, they all understood she could die out there sailing across the planet. They all understood the risks. As her father pointed out, teenagers die every day in car wrecks. Driving is dangerous. Yet most parents allow their teens to drive and ride in cars. Sailing around the world is probably no more risky than driving cross-country on a two lane highway.

I also wondered about the danger from pirates. I'd like to think that girl has, at the very least, a .45 pistol and lots of ammunition.

Overall, we've already accepted that people find themselves in situations where they need help or require rescueing. Therefore, we have established organizations which help and rescue people. We pass laws requiring some training and safety gear and then let them do as they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Mitch, your response is flawed in that the kid out skateboarding is NOT trying to attempt a prodigious feat.
    I don't know--check out YouTube some time...

"Sailing around the world is probably no more risky than driving cross-country on a two lane highway."
    I have to differ with that statement.
    Fifteen foot waves don't usually occur on most highways.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    "Sailing around the world is probably no more risky than driving cross-country on a two lane highway."
    I have to differ with that statement.
    Fifteen foot waves don't usually occur on most highways.
    But you don't have speeding boats driven by texting morons coming at you on the high seas.

I think the fact that she survived the storm says she was old enough, and experienced enough. Most of th spoiled, pampered 16 (or 20 or 26 year olds) I know would have curled up an died.
    Paul