Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table saw choices

Table saw choices

I recently sold my old Delta 10" table saw (model 34-670) and got a Craftsman 21833 in place of it. The Craftsman turned out to be a pile of junk and I returned it. I ordered a Grizzly contractor saw yesterday, but found out the model I want was on back order, then found out today they no longer carry it. They offered the G0691 at a slight discount, but its too heavy and a little too pricey for me.

There are surprisingly few contractor style saws out there now. But I've narrowed it down to either the Porter Cable 10" saw PCB270TS from Lowes, or the Jet JWTS-10 from a place called toolorbit.com. Anyone have opinions of these saws?

I should probably extend my questions beyond "what are peoples opinions". Specifically, the Jet is listed as having a 12A motor, which is less than the 15A I'm used to with the Delta or Craftsman. Does this lower amperage effect performance? The worst I'd do is rip 2" maple with a thin kerf blade.

The Jet also does not have a riving knife. Is a riving knife terribly important?

Second, the Porter Cable manual does not provide a procedure for adjusting the blade parallel to the miter slots. No mention of trunnion alignment. I'm wondering if its simply not mentioned, or if its not possible to align with this model? I'm hesitant to not be able to align the blade because of all the alignment absurdity with the Craftsman.

The Porter Cable is too new to have a track record. I don't think it is even a rebadged Delta. I would stay clear of it. For about the price of the Jet you could go Polar Bear and be better off.http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...-Series/G0715P. A riving knife is nice to have.

First, I would NOT buy a new TS without a riving knife, but some saws can be retrofit with a bolt on riving knife.

Second, I would not buy a Jet unless it was a cabinet saw, the value isn't there in their smaller saws. I probably wouldn't buy the PC unless I really poured over one in person, I have yet to see one. All contractors saws are more difficult to align than cabinet saws by the nature of the trunnion mounts.

Third, the Grizzly hybrid Cary mentions will likely be great bang for the book but listed as not available until September...

Finally, your budget would also help people recommend other saws. I assume it is in the $700 range.

[QUOTE=Van Huskey;1442388]

Third, the Grizzly hybrid Cary mentions will likely be great bang for the book but listed as not available until September...

QUOTE]

More than likely it won't be Sept. The bandsaws which are due in mid July are already being delivered. It could be July or August though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    The Porter Cable is too new to have a track record. I don't think it is even a rebadged Delta. I would stay clear of it. For about the price of the Jet you could go Polar Bear and be better off.http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...-Series/G0715P. A riving knife is nice to have.
    That's understating it quite a bit.

A riving knife should be, and will be an essential safety component. It is only missing on US saws because the manufacturers have dragged their heels in redesigning the arbor movements (they need to move straight up and down, not in an arc).

They are, however, coming ..... Meanwhile the B.O.R.K looks like a good substitute if it will fit your saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Finally, your budget would also help people recommend other saws. I assume it is in the $700 range.
    Thanks for the comments! My budget is around $600/700. So $850 is steep for me... or I should say my wife, because she currently earns more than I do. But anyway, weight is an important factor. ~300lbs is a true limit because I need to get the saw into the basement.

[QUOTE=Cary Falk;1442396]
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

QUOTE]

More than likely it won't be Sept. The bandsaws which are due in mid July are already being delivered. It could be July or August though.
    Both the 555P and 513P showed from yesterday (the first day they were listed) that the first shipments had arrived. Now everything else besides the TS has shown July. Now, it is true that Grizzly often gets stuff before (and after) they say they will, I mentioned it because he sounds like he is without a saw now.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Book View Post
    Thanks for the comments! My budget is around $600/700. So $850 is steep for me... or I should say my wife, because she currently earns more than I do. But anyway, weight is an important factor. ~300lbs is a true limit because I need to get the saw into the basement.
    I would really recommend the Grizzly G0661 fits the weight bill, has a riving knife, has cabinet mounted trunnions for ease of alignment BUT even at the summer sale price it is $795 plus $94 shipping.

If you can wait on the hybrid from Grizzly it will be even cheaper and as far as I can tell more saw. The weight will be higher but you can remove parts to get it into the basement as many people do.

I think Van is right... that grizzly "contractor saw" really doesn't have many of the traits associated with a typical contractor saw. No motor hanging out the back, left tilt, riving knife, 2hp (rather than 1.5), dust shroud around the underside of the blade, decent-looking fence, cast iron wings, and an enclosed cabinet...

It's really like a hybrid saw with legs. That looks like a lot of saw for the money.

Here's the approach I recommend with the wife:

Let's say she gave the green light on a $700 saw. Save up the remainder ($200) by demonstrating that you have cut your expenses to compensate. Eat out less than usual, etc. Look at your typical spending habits and prove that you've made cuts.

You may have to wait a month or two, but table saws are very important components of the shop. If you're going to splurge, you should do it on your TS. If you're going to have to wait and save your cash, do it for a TS.

Don't buy a marginal saw just because you're short a few hundred bucks and you don't want to wait.

Oh and as far as the weight issue, keep in mind that they're giving you the fully-assembled weight. Moving the saw before assembling it will be much much easier (keep the cast iron extension wings, fence, and fence rails off- those elements alone will save you at least 100 lbs).

I can't argue with the Grizzly recommendations, but I'm curious what your problems were with the Craftsman 21833? I have that saw, and apart from some minor annoyances that were easily overcome, haven't run into any showstopping problems (nor have I read reports of such problems online). Sure, the instructions suck, and the table mounted trunions took a couple of hours with a dial indicator to align properly, but my saw has behaved very well once I got it tuned up.

For $400, the 21833 is quite a lot of saw, and the riving knife (and blade guard) work very well and don't get in the way.

edit: I just saw in your other thread what your problems with the Craftsman were. If you liked the saw (apart from the alignment problem), I suggest trying another copy. I got mine ~3 months ago and have had no problems. I read a lot of reviews before buying, and found a lot of similarly satisfied people (and plenty who couldn't get over the poor manual), but don't recall any complaints similar to yours. I assume it was a manufacturing defect. My experience is that your problem was not a design flaw.
    Last edited by Chad Bender; 06-09-2010 at 7:43 PM. Reason: added more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Bender View Post
    ... but I'm curious what your problems were with the Craftsman 21833? ...
    I completely agree with you, it is a great saw for the price. Lots of features, solid, powerful motor. The problem I and at least one other person had was with the alignment of blade to the miter slots. As the blade was raised and lowered, the alignment would change. No adjustment possible. Since its happened at least once with another saw, I just couldn't see myself going through the work of assembling another one and possibly having the same problem. Plus, I don't see the saw on the Sears website any longer.

With regards to the other available saws, I seem to get the feeling the Jet saw is not worth the money and especially without a riving knife. I also get the impression the Porter Cable saw is a hit or miss because its new and untested.

I too would recommend the G0661. I do understand your concerns regarding the weight. However, you do realize that the saw comes in pieces right?

But anyway, weight is an important factor. ~300lbs is a true limit because I need to get the saw into the basement.
    Don't let weigh be an overriding factor, I just got a 600lb PM2000 down a steep flight of stairs and into my basement. Saws can be broken down and re-assembled.
    Last edited by Joe Leigh; 06-09-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks everyone for your comments, it did help me decide what to do. I went to Lowes to look at the Porter Cable today, which they did not have on display, but they did have the Hitachi. The Hitachi was on clearance, and it really is identical to the new Porter Cable. The Hitachi was a little flimsier than the Craftsman, but it also had bad reviews online. Breaking plastic screws to adjust blade tilt, dust problems shorting the motor, etc. Not worth it at all and I can't imagine the Porter Cable wouldn't have fixed those problems.

I then made my decision and called Grizzly to order the G0661 but the saw is on back-order until September 10th !! I have a lot of vacation time to use this summer so I really wanted to have a table saw available. The good thing is that Sears delivery didn't pick up the Craftsman 21833 yet, and I have until July 15 to return it for a refund. Until then I can still use the saw. Perhaps in the meantime I can find a way to fix the alignment problems. Otherwise the worst case is I'll be without a table saw for two months.