Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agazzani B-20 20" Bandsaw gloat

Agazzani B-20 20" Bandsaw gloat

Well, finally after 3 years of shopping for band saws, reading band saw threads, and cruising Craigs List every night, tonight I have an Agazzani B20 sitting in my garage.

I got some great emails and info from Mark Woodmark on the Agazzani line after asking for info here about a month ago--thanks again! The saw looked beautiful, any of them, and I lusted after one, but at full price I still couldn't decide.

I will say that until 24 hours ago, I never expected to end up with an Agazzani. In fact, I had decided on one of the Grizzly saws: G0514x2 most likely, G0636 17" Ultimate, or the G0701 19" Ultimate. I REALLY expected to end up with that 514x2, and three days ago when I read the Bing cash back was ending, then Shiraz posted they'd put equipment up for Bing purchase if asked, I actually made a Bing account to do the purchase this weekend. After 3 years, I'd decided to buy the 514x2... or the 0701...depending on what I could talk the wife into...or the 0636..but a Grizzly band saw was in my immediate future.

Now the strange part. I've been reading Craigs List every night for 4 years now, and I scan "band saw", "bandsaw", and read all the posts. I also scan for Agazzani, Mini Max, Laguna, and Grizzly, always a waste of time but like playing the Lotto, I always hoped one would show. In 4 years, I have NEVER seen an Agazzani or Mini Max or Grizzly 19" bandsaw, and only 1 Laguna. Last night I find a 3 year old Agazzani B20 in a private garage shop, 140 miles north of me in Northern AZ. I was in my car driving north as soon as weekend military duty was over!

When I got there, the saw was perfect, no marks on it, ran and tracked well, cut great, good euro-guides, adjusted well. Came with a mobile base, miter-gauge, fence, and a carbide 1" Lennox Tri-master, and two other blades in good shape. Out the door price: $1500. I just couldn't pass up that price, my decision was forced on me!

Folks have written in many threads to get as big a band saw as you can afford and fit. And many times I've read and thought about the idea of getting the tool you want, so you don't regret your purchase and feel bad every time you see the tool. And to buy quality so you enjoy using the tool each time. All these things I'm sure will be satisfied by this great B-20 band saw. But here's the wierd thing...

... I find I have buyers remorse, not for the saw itself, but because I didn't end up buying a saw from Grizzly. Over the years, I've been so absolutely impressed with the company that I had determined in my mind that they deserved my business. And their band saw lineup is just fantastic. And the 513x, 514x2, 636 and 701 17" and 19" band saws have every design feature I ever dreamed of with great specs and glowing reviews. This Agazzani deal was too good and too rare for me to pass up and honestly I do think I got the best saw available, but I imagined a Griz sitting there so many times, with pleasure, that there's a bit of "inverse remorse" or something. I just thought I'd mention it so folks reading about band saws and making decisions know I didn't decide to buy an Agazzani over a 19" Grizzly, I just got the smoking deal that I couldn't pass up.

I'll keep my 14" Delta 28-276 band saw also, with a 1/4 or 3/8" blade on it. Pics of the B20, two band saws together for size comparison, the mobile base on the B20, and a pic out my pickup rear window showing the saw laying on it's spine all strapped in snugly with it's table removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Moving the Saw:

I checked the specs and the saw was 474 lbs and 76" high. My Toyota Tacoma 4WD looked like it would carry it, with the tail gate open--only 74" long bed. Seller had 2 guys available to help load, so I figured I didn't need to rent a trailer.

However, I did check the Uhaul trailers, $14/day rent! I was going to get one with the ramp (motorcycle trailer) and take up with me just in case, but my tail-light cable kit wasn't working so Uhaul wouldn't rent me one. Oh well.

Took one guy in the pickup bed and two guys tilting saw and lifting bottom to just slide the saw in the bed on it's spine. I rested it on a moving pad/blanket, and three 1x cross pieces of wood to keep the door hinges up off the pickup bed. Slid it right in, then was able to push it angled into a corner and easily fit it in a Tacoma with the tail gate closed.

I brought 16' or so of 2x4, and my DeWalt 18v drill and sawzall. I just chopped the 2x4s up to wedge into the pickup bed corners then against the saw to block it in so it absolutely couldn't move, and to provide "sway braces" so it wouldn't tip over sideways. In 5 minutes, I had blocking cut and screwed into place holding that saw so solid the you could have dropped the pickup out of a plane on a parachute, and the saw wouldn't have budged. I then wrapped 4 tie-down ratchet straps around it strategically so everything was held tightly in place.

I then removed the 4 nuts holding the table on, and easily lifted the table off the trunnions and put it in the bed, blocked in place, to be sure trunnions were not hurt during the drive.

Drove 2.5 hours through the northern AZ mountains, no problems.

At home, made a loop of climbing rope static line at the very top of the saw, and also rigged up a "cradle" about the mid-point of the saw. Hooked the middle loop up to my $99 HF 2-ton engine hoist, raised it up off pickup bed and backed it out to edge of tailgate, lowered it back down. Taped the mobile base onto the bottom. Moved shop crane to the top loop, raised saw up off pickup bed at 45 angle, then just rolled crane forward until mobile base touched down (saw rotated about the tail gate pivot point). Then cranked the crane to bring saw upright. One-man unloading, completely controlled and no problems. Don't forget to chock the wheels on your shop crane...that was almost a problem
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I hate you.

JK Nice deal man. I would take that saw over 2 grizzes. that is a saw of a lifetime.
    Fullerbuilt

YOU, my friend SUCK!!

Last edited by Van Huskey; 06-06-2010 at 6:01 AM.

I was gonna just add this in an edit but it wouldn't let me change font size!

I am glad you got the saw, that was an excellent deal!

Also glad to hear the unloading was uneventful. BTW that wouldn't have been a piece of Bluewater II rope would it?

Blog Entries

But Dave ...

You could have driven another 6 hours and had this in your garage:
    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/tls/1772013616.html

Congratulations on your new saw it looks fabulous-- I'm envious!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never buy a lottery ticket again, you have used up all of your luck.
    Enjoy the bandsaw, if you feel like you you just have to have a grizzly we could maybe work out a trade for my G0514x2.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up

Reverse regrets on an Agazzani? That is the holy grail of all bandsaws! Great score, but as all others may (or may not admit), I'm truly jealous. 20" throat and 20" resaw, how can you go wrong? Now just get a few mods and you're truly at the top of the heap! Please let me know if your Grizzly thoughts overwhelm you.....

Wow. Beautiful BS. Yet another happy CL shopper... Congrats!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Dave next time you go into town make a doctors appointment to see if there is any head injuries.Buyers remorse,are you kidding!You should be padding yourself on the back,the buyers remorse would have set in if you had purchase the Griz.Yes I know alot of people are happy w/griz and I have griz tools also.But I believe that you have purchase the best BS made for the times,griz can't come close.Grin from ear to ear you lucky dog.Congrads----Carroll

I don't think your buyers remorse will last too long. You got a great saw at a great price.
    You're wise to keep the 14". I sold mine when I bought my MiniMax and regretted it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

dave....is the agazzani a belt or a direct drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    dave....is the agazzani a belt or a direct drive?

Belt drive

Un friggen beleivable man. That is basically a steal at that price. You will get some serious work out of that saw and probably spend most of your shop time in front of her. You may want to put a rubber padded mat in front of it cause if it was me I'd rarely move from that spot in the shop. Really can't describe in words how jelous I am of you, just can't seem to come up with deals like that around these parts on CL. Great score man and take care of her because she's worth it.

Oh, I think Shiraz and Grizzly will forgive you

Nice saw !