Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamps?

Clamps?

Hi all-
    I am new to sawmill creek, and am looking to get some clamps. Are the Bessey parallel clamps worth the extra money, or should I try to save by purchasing 3/4" pipe clamps? I will need to purchase 6 clamps for an upcoming project.

Thanks

I would love a set of parallel clamps but with. budget I have been able to do fine with bar clamps. The one nice thing about pipe clamps is that they are very adaptable so even if I had a lot of other clamps I would still have a few pipe clamps around.

I lived with pipe clamps for 15 years before going to Bessey Kbody clamps. You can build plenty with the pipe clamps, just need to be careful to make sure the clamp isn't pulling the boards out of flat when clamping. One way is to alternate with a clamp under the board, then on top, then under, then on top. This is because as the pipe gets pressure it flexes. The Bessey style clamps don't.

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Joe said about alternating clamps. I would like to have some Bessey's as well but right now depend on the pipe clamps. Another hint is to put wax paper under the pipe so it doesn't leave a black mark on the wood.

And welcome to the Creek.

I have a mixture of pipe and bar clamps and they are fine for most everything as others have mentioned. At my day job we have bar clamps and some Bessy K bodies, I am not impressed enough with them to rush out and drop double what a bar clamp is for some of them. Just my .02 cents.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I recently gave away the last of my pipe clamps. They have been replaced by Bessey, and my preference, Jet parallel clamps. Obviously, I think they are worth the extra cost. That's a decision you and your finances will have to make.

That said, I worked with pipe clamps for 20+ years, so I couldn't say they don't work. Just follow Joe's advice.

I own 8 pipe clamps an about 30 bessy's. I wouldn't trade my bessy's for anything they are my go to clamp. If you can afford parallel clamps they are the way to go they are much more user friendly. But the cost is high and they do suffer from some draw backs. Less clamping power, which isn't that big of the deal, you shouldn't need more power than the bessy's provide. But the bessy's are limited to the length your purchase, generally speaking. You can buy adapters to lengthen a bessy but they are also expensive. Pipe clamps are not user friendly they bend, bend, and bend some more. They leave marks on your work piece, but they are cheap. I just used my set to build a king size head and foot board. I bought 4 couplers to tie 8 5ft pipes together. The local plumbing shop sold me the couplers for a whopping $4 total. For an extra $4 I had 10ft long clamps. A 8ft bessy is $80. So they they have their advantages. But personally I hate pipe clamps they are a pain to use, buy they are better than nothing.

If you get pipe clamps, you are on the right track by saying 3/4" as 1/2" has too much flex. Also get decent quality ones. I've had some that were worth scrap metal price and no more.
    And now for something completely different....

Ditto what Joe said, pipe clamps will do the job. That said, I haven't touched my pipe clamps since switching to the Bessy K-Body.

Big ++ for the 3/4" pipe size, the 1/2" is a waste of money.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

a combination works too ... esp for larger glue-ups. You can use the large flat surface from the Bessey's to attach a pipe clamp to.

Realistically, you can effectively use most clamping systems provided you know their limitations. Pipe clamps are more affordable, so if it were me, i'd buy a few pipes ... and sneak in a Bessey when you get some extra $$

11. I have used pipe clamps, Bessey clamps and Jet clamps. The Besseys and Jets are much better than pipe clamps and of those two I like the Jets better. They have more clamping surface, a more comfortable handle and I think they are a little more durable. I have had a couple Besseys break on me before

I started with pipe clamps and they have served me well for 20+ years. I agree about 3/4" being better than 1/2". This year I was able to afford some Bessy's. They are much better than the bar clamps, but only if you can afford them. They have some issues, I have not figured out how to keep glue off the notched edges except to use tape, a bar clamp will just knock the glue drips off. If you drop a Bessy just right, you can break it. But all that aside, when you tighten a Bessy, the value comes to light. Less work for you and very even pull on the board. Amazing how strong they are. Good luck. Just remember many folks have and still use standard bar clamps very successfully.

Buy the Jet Parallel Clamps

I have the Jet Parallel Clamps and love them. I also have pipe clamps and they do work, just not as easily or convenient as the parallel clamps. Buy parallel and skip the rest. You will eventually end up with parallel clamps!

There was a comparison article about a year ago that rated Jet best, Jorgensen second and Bessey third if I remember correctly.
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. Einstein

In my shop I remove the "S" from scrap wood.

clamps

I too have bessy and Gross Stabil and they are my go to clamps .ipe clamps work fine and occasionally use the long ones I have. If buying pipe clamps today I would purchase the ones that have a foot that holds the pipe clamp higher than the ones that came out originally where the pipe almost rested on the work surface

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...ampaign=904181

This link will give you an example

Brian

Parallel clamps can't be beat.

That said I much prefer Jet parallel clamps with Jorgensen second. FWIW, FWW agrees.