Thread: push through cyclone owners

push through cyclone owners

what /how do you collect the shavings from the cyclone? I saw somewhere someone tied a bag to the cyclone I tried that but couldn't get a good seal and the bag twisted and bunched right at the cyclone outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cullom JR. View Post
    what /how do you collect the shavings from the cyclone? I saw somewhere someone tied a bag to the cyclone I tried that but couldn't get a good seal and the bag twisted and bunched right at the cyclone outlet.
    I just attach standard 39 gal. lawn and leaf bags using a band clamp and have done it that way for 10 years with both of my push-through cyclones.

The mouth of the bag is much larger than the outlet of the cyclone, but I just gather it at the top and space out the pleats before I tighten the clamp. One of these days I will put a strip of rubber (piece of a inner tube) around the cyclone outlet and buy a quick release clamp to make mounting and removing the bag even quicker and easier.

Remember, this will only work with a "push-through" cyclone where the outlet of the blower pushes the dust laden air into the cyclone. It will not work with a traditional "pull-through" cyclone where the blower is mounted on top of the cyclone and "pulls" air through it.

My old Wood Magazine unit- I put a net laundry bag (blue) over the plastic bag- I few weeks before I took the photo I overfilled the bag so dust backed up and clogged the single cartridge filter- I was concerned about a blowout.

I use two cartridge filters with this DC installation and have a high dust alarm. I never have backups or clogged filters, so there is very little pressure on the bag.

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 06-13-2010 at 9:47 PM.

Im wondering you said you have little pressure in the collection bag? when I tried it I have a lot of pressure it didn't break the bag but I was starting to wonder if it was. Does that sound like a lot more pressure than yours ? Im running 2 .5 micron bags left from my grizz collector as the filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cullom JR. View Post
    Im wondering you said you have little pressure in the collection bag? when I tried it I have a lot of pressure it didn't break the bag but I was starting to wonder if it was. Does that sound like a lot more pressure than yours ? Im running 2 .5 micron bags left from my grizz collector as the filters.
    Yes. My plastic bag is inflated, but not taut at all.

If you have a taut bag, it means you have too much back pressure from your filter. You may need to clean your filter, increase the filter area, or both. If you are worried about a blow-out, you can put some kind of containment around the plastic bag like I did with my old cyclone.