Thread: Byrd install on PM 209

Byrd install on PM 209

Hey guys.

I posted here awhile ago about installing a Byrd head on my PM planer and want to thank you for all the ideas and support.

A good friend of mine I used to work with(he's a mechanic)came and helped me install it today. The job took all of two hours from start to finish. Everything went pretty smoothly. The hardest part was reinstalling the Byrd head with out nicking the inserts, which we did. He had it 3/4 in before I knew it and we worked in the rest of the way without incident.

NOW comes the injury report. I kept the old head,assembled (which by the way is brand new), coated it in gear oil real good and decided to wrap it in the treated paper the Byrd came in. So far, so good. Went to pick it up and store it in the byrd crate, it slipped and came down on my finger. Sliced through the glove tip. Blood started to flow. I was scared to pull it off and see what happened. Thank goodness for the glove. Walked away with a kinda medium cut and a band aid. It figures...I thought THIS ONE time, I'd do a job bandaid free. OOPS Well, if anyone needs help in doing this job, feel free to PM me. I'll help all I can

Mike

OK we know how the old head cuts meat (hope you heal quickly!) now lets here the good news, how does the Byrd do on wood?

Michael,
    I have a PM 209 with a Bryd shelix head arriving in 2 days; and there's a just a slight leak of oil from (I believe) the gaskets when the head was installed. I didn't do the install. Having done one, does anything pop to mind in the way of gaskets or seals that would need to be replaced when putting in the new head, to keep the gear area leak-free? (super-stealth gloat...)
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Hey Dave.

Congrats on the 209. Nice machine. If you do need CS, I've had excellent service getting help. It wasn't with the planer, it was jointer(not the one I have now). There is a rubber gasket the goes between the head and gear box and could be leaking there, check to see if all the hex bolts are tight, and make sure the gear box cover isn't isn't canted. When we were putting it on, my buddy was holding it and I was putting in the bolts. I was trying to tighten them all the same while he was holding/assisting and it still wouldn't seat right. We removed the bolts, used a longer bolt with a fender washer in the hole that goes through a gear. That pulled it on evenly. Then we installed the hex bolts. Now there a two alignment pins on either side of the gear box. Maybe they pinched the gasket or it was damaged doing assembly. Easy to do if your not careful HTH

Mike

Knowing NOTHING about the machines you have, but thinking of general mechanical principles ....

Are there torque specs, to speak of, for these bolts that go through a gasket ?

It's certainly not uncommon for an under- OR an over-torque situation to create a leak in a gasket application.

Thanks much guys! Good things for me to check.
    Indeed, I dealt with WMH customer service only once to get a motor cover for my PM66. I found them helpful and quick, was an enjoyable experience.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

There are torque specs I'm sure. There isn't any in the owners manual and there aren't any on the Byrd site with the instructions they provide. So short of contacting PM and getting the values, we snugged them up and then about another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Fired it up, checked for leaks and we were on our way. Oh yeah, with the size of the bolts, I think you'd need a torque wrench in INCH pounds not foot pounds if you care to go that route. Thanks for reminding me about overtightening them. That can crush the gasket material too causing a leak. I"d forgotten to mention that one. Nice save