Thread: Drawers

Drawers

I am trying to make 2 drawers that will fit under a standard 30 " W X 12" D cabinet. My question is, will it be feasible to make a complete box unit and attach it to the shelf unit ? The other variable I am dealing with is I am doing this long distance ! My brother lives in another part of the state. He will attach veneer to sides when I send the drawers to him. Also, would top or side slides be practical ?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

If you are intending to build a box and attach it to the bottom of upper cabs than you can do that without to much trouble. There are a lot of ways to attach them together. All will work with varying degrees of complexity depending on the layout.

I use side mount euro ball bearing slides for all kitchen cabs but prefer traditional construction for furniture pieces. Depends on what you are doing and the look you are after.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thanks

Thanks for your input. I am mostly into scroll sawing, but have made furniture at various times in my life. DO not know exactly what you mean by traditional method of drawer construction.

I guess my biggest worry is making it the correct size.

Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Arnold View Post
    Thanks for your input. I am mostly into scroll sawing, but have made furniture at various times in my life. DO not know exactly what you mean by traditional method of drawer construction.

I guess my biggest worry is making it the correct size.

Amanda
    He probably means hardwood slides and stops, with the drawer running on it's own base.

All drawers were built like that before separate slides came along.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
    He probably means hardwood slides and stops, with the drawer running on it's own base.

All drawers were built like that before separate slides came along.
    I do. Just a drawer sliding into a box without any runners. Built correctly and waxed they are very smooth.

Biggest trick in any box (drawers or cabs) is to make sure it is dead square. Check and re-check.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"