Thread: Wood kitchen countertop: Anyone build one?

Wood kitchen countertop: Anyone build one?

Hi:

Has anyone built a hardwood kitchen countertop? Does anyone have any pictures of one that they could post? I was looking at all the different options when it comes to countertops and most are too expensive. I was thinking that a countertop could be made out of Maple or Cherry . What kind of finish would I need to put on it to protect it from all the moisture in a kitchen?

Thanks,

Bob

My brother has red oak counters in his kitchen that he ripped then laminated. He installed them in 1987 and they are in great shape today. They have no finish on them other than what the years have done. He is also not shy about using them for whatever he may need. Only because of personal preference I don't know that I would go for Oak but they have served him well.

Laminated wood, butcher block, or even flat wood, for cook surfaces and food preparation, is older than most of us put together.

How much moisture do you have in your kitchen? If you wipe as you go, just like you probably do already, you should have no problems.

Several local suppliers sell 24" wide and 30" wide hard maple butcher block countertop sections by the linear foot. I think they stock up to 12', and then you can specail order longer lengths. They are put together wit high precision and mongo hydraulic clamps, then planed and sanded, and accounting for your time, you cannot produce them cheaper.

If you use a film finish, use one that is indestructible (polyurethane), and then DON'T use like a wood countertop, as poly won't hold up to knives and mallets and such. Then, you would have a finish that needed repairing and poly is not repairable - it's a do-over.

I would (mineral) oil it and lavish in the fact that it's wood, and you can cut on it, get it wet, and just enjoy it. Solid surface products, that cost $$$, advertise themselves as "better" because the are repairable. (pssssst - so's wood - but don't tell them!!!)

No pictures here - what ideas are you looking for? Edgings? Patterns? Inlays? Stains? BEEP - don't stain if you are using oil.

Todd

I don't have a complete one to show you....but here's how I do it:

Laminated 4/4 hardwood....with cove molding applied in inside corners for easy cleaning.

Doesn't move a lot, but I mount them with slotted screws anyway.

Maple is prone to mildew around the sink openings...epoxy seal all that grain if you use it....Black Cherry is excellent.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff