Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowling Lane Counter Top

Just something that popped into my head after I read this thread. I've never worked with bowling alley, but I've heard that the planks are held together by a whole bunch of nails. A couple of questions...Is glue also used to hold the planks together? If "yes", how will the joints hold up to a kitchen enviroment? If "no", how will the joints hold up to a kitchen environment? The oil will help protect the surface, but what about the joints?
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

pictures ahhhhhh

this is killing me! I need pictures of this counter in question!!!!!
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

It has some of the dots on the lanes, I pick this piece because it was clean. all I need is a beer and some smokes and I am all set

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Seaman
    Hello All First timer hear.

I am making a kitchen counter top out of an old bowling ally, it is made of Rock Maple and is 2 inches thick, I have sanded it so for with 180 grit sandpaper and am going to 220 or so.
    May question is what finish should I use, I have been reading a lot about salad bowl and mineral oil.what is the best and most durable for a Kitchen couter top.

Thanks for the help
    Marc
    If you like the (bar finish) you can use epoxy
    1/16 thick and never a problem.
    High gloss only.
    YCF

Unhappy

Well Bad News, I have cancelled the project due in part the I will not be living in this house much longer, Getting the big D. It sucks the counter is 95% done just cut the hole for the sink and slap it in, I live in Akron Ohio and have 24 feet of this bowling ally in sections of 2-6 foot , 1-3 foot and 1-9 foot, the 9 foot is 26 inches wide 2 inches thick and 9 long and is sanded and ready to go, if anyone close would like to buy it. let me know, I am looking for an apartment and I doubt I will be able to do much woodworking there.
    Thanks for all the help with this project!

Also the anser the question a little late but yes the ally is nailed and glued together if I need bracing I can reinforce it with 1x2 but I think it will be fine, Hear is a pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [QUOTE=Marc Seaman]Well Bad News, I have cancelled the project due in part the I will not be living in this house much longer, Getting the big D.
    Sorry about the change in partnership Marc. You're part of 50% of the population. Though it may look a little bleak right now, this is a new beginning. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Thanks for the lesson! This exchange with our esteemed colleagues has been most valuable
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 12-03-2004 at 8:23 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Sorry to hear the news, Marc. Many of us have been there. Like Tyler says, treat it as a new beginning...and don't forget to take care of yourself. If woodworking is a meaningful part of your life, try to arrange to keep it there, especially for stress relief. There are always things you can do, even in an appartment setting or through arrangements with others.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry to hear the news. That is one Tshirt that I do have as well and can tell ya that it sucks at the time but you will get past it. Hope there are no kids involved since that makes it much tougher. Try and hold on to as much of your woodworking stuff as possible, it will give you something to occupy your time. I rented a small house for about the price of an apartment and I kept all my stuff in the garage. In any event you will get back on your feet and get back into woodworking. Good Luck.

Bob

Thanks guys, I plan on getting out by February, we will see how it goes.