Thread: Load of router bits

Load of router bits

Last week my wife and myself went to an estate sale of sorts. The older fellow had a full blown shop in his garage but he can no longer get around and is selling everything including the house.

Anyway, I went to see a couple of items that was listed in the craigslist ad and I saw a bunch of router bits in 2 cabinets. I asked how much and the gal in charge said $100 for all of it and that includes the cabinets.

The cabinets were awkward and it would have taken more time to get them down than they were worth to me, but I did get the bits.

Top is 1/2" and bottom is 1/4" and a bunch still have the protective rubber coating on them and most show very little use.

Did I do good?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It appears you did do well. As less than 2 bucks each it is hard to go wrong and quite a few are high quality bits, even if they need sharpening.

I would recommend you store the router bits in plastic support sleeves (see Lee Valley) that you could then insert into your block of wood. From experience I had router bits stored in a block wood ( Mahogany) The holes were factory pre-drilled (1/4" shaft)hole. Virtually all the bits rusted in the pre-drilled holes. The router bit holding box was solid wood throughout. Some bits were so badly rusted I had difficulty pulling them from the drilled holes for the 1/4"router shaft bits.

I think that deserves a YOU SUCK! Nice haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Shnitka View Post
    I would recommend you store the router bits in plastic support sleeves (see Lee Valley) that you could then insert into your block of wood. From experience I had router bits stored in a block wood ( Mahogany) The holes were factory pre-drilled (1/4" shaft)hole. Virtually all the bits rusted in the pre-drilled holes. The router bit holding box was solid wood throughout. Some bits were so badly rusted I had difficulty pulling them from the drilled holes for the 1/4"router shaft bits.
    There was a thread here where the question was asked about this and I don't think anyone storing bits in wood was having a rust problem.

My bit storage is a plywood rack, and I drill the holes 1/64th" larger than the shank. Have no problem with rusty shanks. Whiteside bits have some rust on their shanks from the factory, it didn't come from my blocks.

I suppose some of the issue could have something to do with local climate, too. I'm in the upper midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Shnitka View Post
    I had to bring them home loose and I drilled holes in those to pieces just to be able to keep them upright and not rattling around. I will do something better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    I think that deserves a YOU SUCK! Nice haul.
    Thanks!!!!

The gal in charge told me a fellow had been in the day before and cherry picked about a half dozen. I have no idea what he might have gotten away with.