Thread: End Grain Cutting Board Finish Help Please

Question End Grain Cutting Board Finish Help Please

I recently finished my first end grain cutting board and applied three coats of salad bowl finish. The sheen is gorgeous, but, I seem to have sanding marks beneath the final coat and I am unsure as to why. I followed the instructions on the can and sanded with 400 grit sandpaper between coats (by hand), but the surface still appears scratched in the right lighting. I know it takes a separate approach when finishing end grain as opposed to face grain. I am happy with the results, but next time I believe I'm going to thin the finish and hopefully avoid these sanding marks. Thanks.

I expect they are probably in the wood themselves. Salad bowl finish is interesting enough not recommended by General finishes for in use cutting boards.

Anyway, before putting the finish on did you wipe with with naptha or mineral spirits to get a good look in raking light? It is very difficult to get rid of all the scratches on end grain. When you think you are done with a grit sand for 5 more minutes at least.

I really only ever use mineral oil on cutting boards but it will show if I miss a spot in the sanding just the same way.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"