Thread: Spool holder

Spool holder

In repayment for the lovely woman who made my daughter's Easter dress, I made this spool/bobbin holder (I come from the kind of family that knows sewing terms as well as woodworking). I came up with this idea pretty much just out of my head, and had some extra cherry around to make it with. It's unique, will age well, and someday Pat's grandchildren will still be using this.

I put it on a small lazy susan rig from Rockler and created a removable top, with a dowel going down to a bottom piece, giving a hidden storage area in the hollow inside. I also hot-glued a pin cushion to the top for a little added touch.

All in all, I think it turned out pretty well, and is something Pat will have never expected.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice project and I'm sure it will be treasured. Lot of seamstresses in my family, too. As a kid, my Grandmother would take me to the feed store to buy chicken feed. I got to pick which sack pattern to buy because it would be my next shirt when the feed was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I got to pick which sack pattern to buy because it would be my next shirt when the feed was gone.
    Now that, is a very cool, very American story.

Very cool and a nice sentiment. The pin cushion begs I question I have ask and never gotten an answer to, why are so many pn cushion designed to look lke tomatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Very cool and a nice sentiment. The pin cushion begs I question I have ask and never gotten an answer to, why are so many pn cushion designed to look lke tomatoes?
    From "answerwiki"
    During the 15th century, metal pins were very expensive, and thus were usually stored in fine cases. During the Tudor Era, however, it became a common practice to use fancy cushions. Later, during the Victorian Era, parlor rooms were all the rage, and the goal of the typical housewife was to stuff it full of opulent clutter. Pincushions began to come in fancy shapes, such as fans, dolls, shoes, fruits, and vegetables. These cushions were displayed on tables and hung from walls. In the 1800's they began to be mass-produced, and the tomato proved to be the easiest to assemble because of its simple design. Apart from that, the different segments proved useful in separating and sorting pins of different lengths and thicknesses. Now the tomato is still in use because it has become iconic of the entire sewing community (and yes, there IS a sewing community).
    The strawberry tassel, believe it or not, is actually filled with emory (fine grain sand) and serves as a needle/pin sharpener. Even most seamstresses seem to be unaware of that.