Thread: Processional Cross and Candle holders

Processional Cross and Candle holders

This is a recently completed piece for a Lutheran church. It's a 7 ft tall processional cross with a pair of matching 4 ft tall candle holders.
    There are weighted boxes that will sit on each side of the Altar to hold the candles while the cross is positioned off to one side after the opening of the mass.
    The wood is Mahogany with mortise and tenon joints holding the Maple ends. The three points of the ends represents the Trinity. Lutheran crosses in my experience don't have a corpus. Instead I carved the symbolic Lutheran Rose in the center of the cross.
    The staff itself represents the four Evangelists with the four columns at each corner running the length of the staff. Same on the candle holders. The symbolism is that which you hold on to.
    I didn't include photos of the candle holders but they duplicate the cross staff up to and including the moldings where the cross is attached but have a socket where the candles are inserted.
    The finish is oil stain on the Mahogany with the Maple left natural sealed with Lacquer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Very nice, Mark.
    The faithful should appreciate the symbolism of your design. I like the carving and the contrast between the 2 woods.
    Paul

Thank you Paul. Considering the views I was beginning to think nobody liked it.
    From the feedback I've already received from the church ( delivered just today) it went over very well. The dedication will be either this weekend or next to the entire congregation. I'll keep my fingers crossed, no pun intended.And they already have other jobs for me to do such as a Paschal candle stand and a Baptismal Font.
    I really enjoy this type of work as the symbolism from each faith is so important to them. Being able to work it into a design in a sublime way is very satisfying to me even if few recognize or appreciate it. To me it goes to the heart of it all by telling a story visually as well as in your mind as you make the connections.
    Thanks again.
    Mark
    The Woodworking Studio

Beautiful pieces. Do you mostly do work for places of worship?

I'm Lutheran, and I like your work.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Thank you gentlemen.
    I do a considerable amount of work for a variety of religious institutions but not exclusively.
    Just recently I did 8 massive corbels for a major University's renovation in the south,12 brackets and corbels that went to Wisconsin,, 2 Mantles with a variety of trophy animals carved on 10 panels, the Wisteria desk ( shown here) , 6 seven foot tall by 2 ft wide Oak cabinets with raised panel doors and now I'm working on a kitchen in Florida ( I'm in Pa.) which will feature Elephant heads and trunks as the legs for an island unit as well as Elephant heads as corbels supporting the range hood. There are also Wine Cellars requiring carvings as well as a Cigar bar where I'll be carving a relief scene under glass on the entire bar top depicting harvesting leaves, tobacco plants and a guy in a Panama hat smoking a cigar...And then there is the Tryptich, 16 ft tall, 5 ft wide and carved every which way but loose,,, but that's back to churches again,,
    So I do a wide variety of carvings but it's just that churches happen to be coming up lately.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 06-19-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

I think it is really beautiful!

Thank you Rick, I appreciate that.
    It's fun work as I always get to do something in a different style. I love carving,but somehow this works too.
    Mark
    The Woodworking Studio