Thread: Canton Trade Days

Canton Trade Days

So I am planning a trip out to Canton Trade Days in either July or Aug. Anyone have any advice on where to look for neander gear/tools? The place is HUGE so any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking for planes (woodies or metal), chisels, dividers, scratch awl, you name it. Thanks in advance.
    ~Aaron
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-21-2010 at 9:06 PM.

canton

Big place but, few tools. There are 3 dealers with a lot of tools that are usually there. One is in the Antique building at the back of the main area (blue roof) Nice stuff. Another is about 50 yds. to the right side of the same building (he is a Neander). Another tool guy is about 50 yards from the front of the same building and 25 yards to the left. He always has piles of rust if you need parts. I've gotten a nice tote for a Disston No. 12 for $4, a couple of saws for donor horns for $1.50, A sweet 30" Miter box saw for $10 (Near mint Disston for Langton,) I did break down and pay $40 for a full 3 tier box of Russell Jennings auger bits, most of them unused. You will find something that you need.
    Deane Allinson

Thanks, Deane! Good bits are hard to come by. Hopefully my hunt will be successful.

Canton

Aaron, I have been shopping in Canton for 25 years and July and August are miserably hot. Also, the heat drives a lot of the vendors away and you will not have a good selection. My recommendation would be to wait until October, November, December.

I usually shop the unreserved section before the pavillions when I go.

Steve