Thread: Sharpening turning tools silky smooth thanks to SMC!

Sharpening turning tools silky smooth thanks to SMC!

In a prior thread, I was having trouble following the installation of my new Norton white oxide grinder wheels.

Well after seeing the suggestions listed, I followed MOST of them. (I haven't done the balancer from Wolverine yet) and added a bit of my own...

The pitiful bushings that Norton includes with their grinder wheels, well... Norton should be ashamed of themselves for including them. These things are a waste of money for Norton to include, and a waste of shipping space. SHAME ON YOUR NORTON!!!!

Sawmill Creek members to the rescue for pointing me to the machine bushings from McMaster Carr. Yes they were a little spendy for such a simply chunk of metal, but they were a dead on fit...

Now to get them installed right, considering my coastal, salty air climate, I opted to insure I would be able to remove them when I needed to without getting a gear puller out, by treading the grinder shaft with some Anti Seize compound. Slip the bushing on, then work the wheel on to the bushing. Install outer flange and nut, tighten, and test spin.... Reinstall shrouding and test spin.

Then... The Geiger's Dressing and Truing Solution was FINALLY put to work. (I have been hammering back and forth since, oh... February on getting and using this.... Sorry Don, but life has been odd this spring...

Anyway, after it is all said and done, I now have a grinder that is smooth running. I had a roughing gouge that was left unsharpened for a couple of months, that I got a quick grind on, beautiful and sharp!

All and all, I couldn't be happier. Yes there is a touch of vibration left, but I have been around bench grinders a LONG time, and I have never used one anywhere nearly as smooth as this one. I'm as pleased as punch...

I want to thank the SMC Turners, and in particularly Don Geiger for all your help in squaring this away. Your assistance has been priceless.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

David, I said in the other thread that I was ordering a pair, and I did. I had glued the Norton bushings together, so they were hard to get out, but the result was well worth it. I may have to order Geiger's dressing jig too. I saw them at the FL symposium and was impressed with the thought and workmanship that went into his products.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I rarely lavish the kind of regard I have gained for Don Geiger's solution on any tools. The quality of the workmanship, and the genious simplicity of the design are amazing...

I have gone from a grinder that tries to dance itself off of the bench even when clamped down, to a smooth running grinder. Yes you CAN feel it running, but If I set my Wolverine flat platform up square, I bet it would pass the "nickel test"...

Honestly the bushings took about 75% of the vibration out, but that other 25% is REALLY important...

I think overall, there are 4 "tools" in my shop that I feel as strongly about with design and / or manufacturing. The others are...

#1. Wolverine grinder jig system. Spot on.
    #2. Wynn 35A spun bond poly canister filter for my HF 2HP DC... Exactly as advertised.
    #3. Thien cyclone separator. Okay this is shop built, but Phil's design is insanely effective....
    #4. Hitachi KM12VC router. Silky smooth and powerful.

As much kudos as Don deserves for his dressing and truing solution thing a ma bob... Norton really needs to get slammed here. Those plastic sleeves are such a bad idea that Norton's management should be embarrassed that they ever approved it... I mean if you saw the amount of slop I found in mine, you would be disgusted... Stupid, stupid, stupid corporate management on their part. I need to check my IRA portfolio to make sure I am not invested in them... I mean that is really a BAD management descision...

Now after saying all that, I simply hope and pray I never end up with my resume in front of those guys...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Thank you!

Dave:

I appreciate your report and compliments. I am really glad to see that, through the communication of several people who are passionate about their craft, we (all those that provided input) were able to come to a satisfactory solution to your problem. I commend all the Creekers that contributed.

This confirms my feeling that forums such as SMC serve a purpose.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
    Don Geiger