I have been wanting to make a dust shroud for under my Uni for some time. I attempted to mock one up a couple of years ago out of wood because I didnít have a welder. It didnít work because the space under the saw is very tight. I got a welder shortly after that but I got busy with other things.
About a year ago I purchased an Excalibur over arm guard so I could get a little more serious about dust collection on the saw. I was a little disappointed about the dust collection. I decided I wanted to attempt to make an under the table blade shroud even more. Well, last week was the week I started the project. I finished it up this weekend.
The shroud is made out of 16 gage steel. The connection for the 2.5Ē hose is a piece of muffler pipe.(go figure) I searched for places for 2.5Ē pipe and nobody carried it. When I looked it up online muffler pipe kept coming up. I called a muffler shop here in town and he gave me a piece out of his scrap bin. I took a bunch of measurements and drew it all out but I had to redesign it many times on the fly. You can probably se a few places where I made mistakes and hade to patch some things. Iím not the greatest welder but I have fun. Itís a good thing somebody invented Bondo.
The whole process was a huge PITA and I am glad it is over. It's no beauty spot but it will be under the table and nobody will seeI was afraid that I would spend all of this time and it wouldnít work very well. I must say that initial test have produced very good results. I am very happy with the results and I think it will be staying under the table. I probably catch 95% of everything that used to end up on the table. What is left is very fine stuff which the Excalibur shouldnít have any problems picking up.
I thought I would post this because I know many people have old Unisaws and might be interested in the implementation. It can be done!!!!