Thread: JDS 750-er not working

JDS 750-er not working

I'm not sure I'm using the search tool correctly but I couldn't find a thread on this topic. If it's out there and has been answered I apologize. This is my first post in a looooooong time.

I have a JDS 750-er ceiling mounted dust collector that used to work fantastic. After a about a year and a half with no use, I tried to turn it on again while cleaning my shop - Sheltering in Place has given me some time to get working in the shop again. When I turn it on it hums quietly but does not filter like it used to do. Sounds like it wants to go but doesn't. I guess you could say it "doesn't suck"!

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix anyone knows about? I looked for the JDS website but they appear to be gone. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

I have a JDS box too. If yours has seen significant use and then sat for a long period the dust residue may have set inside the unit. Unplug the unit and manually turn the wheel...after you clean it. Curved blade blower wheels load up. I will be out in the shop this morning and see if I can locate the manual and report back.

I had exactly the same problem. I had to replace the on/off switch on mine. Went with a simple three way I got from Amazon. JDS750ER had a well documented problem with the remote unit. They replaced them for free while the company still existed. They took the top rated filter of its day when it was a manual on/off switch, and mucked it up with the remote because other companies, principally Jet, had added remote to theirs. Jet got it right, JDS not so much.
    Last edited by John Makar; 04-06-2020 at 10:31 AM.

John and Jack - Thank you for the advice. I pulled the unit down and took it apart. The inside was surprisingly clean. I removed the back and fired it up and noticed the motor moved very slow. Unplugged it and spun the squirrel cage by hand and it moved freely. I noticed the large white capacitor was humming just from plugging it in even with everything turned off. I’m making an assumption that the capacitor is bad but can’t find a replacement with the same specification anywhere.

I’ll update if I find one and get it working.

I tested the capacitor and it was fine. It seems this is a Run Capacitor since the farads is/are small (8 uF - I'm learning a lot from a lot of different and helpful people). The suggestion was that it should find the Start Capacitor but everything else is on a printed circuit board and is not easily identifiable.

John - You said you added a simple three-way switch. I'm not opposed to doing the same assuming the issue is with the remote. If you don't mind my asking, can you tell me how you navigated the wiring? Mine has four wires; white, black, blue and red heading to the motor. I'm assuming these represent the speeds.

Thanks again!
    IMG_0658.jpg

Sorry to be slow responding. Alas, mine went Craigslist a couple years ago when I decided I wanted the loft space. I use a mask now, it is lower tech but more reliable.