Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Under table Blade dust shroud for 1970 Unisaw

Cary - I was (more-or-less) joking with my LH request. Unless you already operate a business with a solid liability insurance policy, I wouldn't get anywhere near distributing plans - not for free, nor for love, nor money - not to mention selling fabricated shrouds. If you do have a business with an insurance policy, first ask your insurance agent, so that he/she can tell you "not on your nelly".

The shroud you sell could well end up being your own.

Sad, but true.

OK - all you Ryobi lawsuit ranters can jump in here. Keeton hasn't yet had a chance to lock out that topic - he's a Mod Minority of one.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I don't want to get into full time production with these things. I don't own a business. I would rather not make these things for libality reasons. I would be more than happy to make some plans up and distribute them for a donation(I like that) to my tool fund. I do realize that some people do not have a wleder. I would be willing to weld up some for those folks. It's a shame you can't do anything anymore without the fear of getting sued.

Thumbs up OK.....where do I send my donation?

Cary,

You're just a regular ole guy like most of us on this site.
    Your heart's in the right place.
    I want to send a donation to the "C iF" you like it fund.
    Post the address.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John R Green View Post
    Cary,

You're just a regular ole guy like most of us on this site.
    Your heart's in the right place.
    I want to send a donation to the "C iF" you like it fund.
    Post the address.

John
    John,
    I will try to assist everybody that is interested in seeing one of these if they send me a PM. The "tester" should be able to weigh in early next week if this thing is or isn't a turd.
    Cary

Cary, so I have a few questions...

First of all, so how do you have this set up? Do you no longer have a 4" pipe running into the cabinet? Meaning, the only thing UNDER the blade is the 2.5" port? And over the blade, you have dust collection in your gaurd? You don't have a shop vac hooked up to that do you?

Secondly, what is your lead time and how much do you want for one? Seriously... I have a late 1990's right tilt Uni. I JUST changed out the 4" port for a 6" in the cabinet, but this sounds like great innovation.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike,
    I have a 2.5" to 4" donut jammed into my 4" dust port and the hose from the shroud stuck in that. I have that and a 4" connection to my Excalibur hooked up to my 1.5 hp DC. I don't have any other suction in the base of the cabinet right now. This thing sucks pretty hard and I don't see a whole lot of dust getting to the bottom of the cabinet. It just fell there anyway so if it does I will just scoop it out. I don't have a lot of data about how much will make it past the guard at this time.

I sent you a pm about your 2nd question.

In order not to violate the TOS I am posting any further information on another site. PM me with any questions. Thanks Cary

Cary (and moderators) I hope we didn't steer you wrong by asking the questions we did about this shroud. I hope it didn't get you into a conflict with the rules.

This was an awewome little idea. I love to see ideas for something better actually happen.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Cary

I think that you may have a need for a PATENT, what do the rest of you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Cary (and moderators) I hope we didn't steer you wrong by asking the questions we did about this shroud. I hope it didn't get you into a conflict with the rules.

This was an awewome little idea. I love to see ideas for something better actually happen.
    I can discuss techincal. I can't discuss business. I can answer PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    Cary

I think that you may have a need for a PATENT, what do the rest of you think?
    I don't have the money( I think somebody quoted $40k) for a patent even though I want one before I die.

After further testing, the dust collection is not where I hoped it should be. I am pulling the plug till I have the time and heart to try to improve upon it.
    Thanks,
    Cary

Well, then cancel my order for 150 of them!

Sorry that it didn't work out on the beta version. Maybe instead of a 2.5" port, you could squeeze in an elongated 4". I realize that it is tight in there and you may not have the space for it...just a thought. Hope you've at least had some fun with the project and for your own sake, don't give up. Keep the think tank flowing...
    I drink, therefore I am.

[QUOTE=Mike Cruz;1455030]Maybe instead of a 2.5" port, you could squeeze in an elongated 4".

Well you talked me into it today. I got an elongated 4" in today. It was an even bigger pain to fabricate. I painted it black because I ran out of grey and found out it is not the best color for pictures. I haven't tested the suck today. I will try it tomorrow. If this doesn't do it there is no hope.

Cary, that looks great! The fact that you just increased it to 4" at the source of the cut has GOT to do a great job.

Maybe you already posted this info, but what kind of cfm and static pressure do you have at the saw with your DC? You mentioned that you not only are pulling from below the cabinet, but above, too. So, I woul assume you have a decently large DC. If you are still able to be pulling about 400 cfm through your flexpipe all the way to the shroud, I would imagine this MUST have worked. The saw only comes with a 4" port, and that is connected at the base of the unit, with leaks galore all over the saw. Mine actually did a decent job with the 4" port unless I started cutting very thick stock.

Congrats on the new design. And GOOD LUCK! Hope it works well. Let us know...
    I drink, therefore I am.